Finding Nemo on Demo systems at retail stores

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by scottwat, Nov 14, 2003.

1. scottwat macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2003
    Ohio USA
    I don't think this has been mentioned in the forums, but has anyone noticed that Pixar's Finding Nemo is on demo systems at apple stores, atleast it was on those at a Cincinnati store. Questions: It opened with quicktime, and was saved on the desktop. Does this mean there is an easy program to rip dvd's to quicktime? I'm sure this probably came from Pixar, but has anyone heard of any rumors that apple could use an updated quicktime app to provide similar access to movies as the iTMS gave us access to music? The only limiting factor technically is bandwidth. But this could be a great use of the mac as the multimedia hub.
  2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Apr 18, 2003
  3. aethier macrumors 6502a

Feb 1, 2003
    Montréal, Canada
    well, i have a program that rips DVD's to my mac, in perfect quality but it is not for quicktime, it saves as a .vob file, and plays in VLC

4. slowtreme macrumors 6502

May 27, 2003
    Tampa FL
    The quicktime trailer was on all the Macs in the Apple store the night of Panther's release. It's fairly long. That was before the DVD was released.
  5. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    remember also that if it was the full movie pixar could of easily used pixlet and put it on all the macs.

6. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Full version of Nemo playing on a 23" Cinema Display, hooked up to G5 running Panther at my school book store. I thought it was all right.
  7. jonapete2001 macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2003
    I bet it was pixlet. Remember when Steve into'ed panther he demoed pixlet with finding nemo.
  8. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Aug 11, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    A little clarification please ...

Is Pixlet a stand alone app like FCP or is it a codec like mp4. How can I obtain it? I'm beginning to experiment with video and would like to know more about Pixet.
  9. legion macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    Re: A little clarification please ...

Pixlet is a codec and you'll find it under QT Pro options for encoding. You'll need uncompressed video to use it and the material encoded can only be used on Panther machines (since no other systems support Pixlet.) DV streams are 5:1 so you'll really need something like SDI (or better) to utilize it. If you are just starting out in video, I can almost guarantee that this is useless to you at the moment (unless you decided to start out big and invested in some nice capture boards and cameras) It could be useful if you use Maya or something that produces hi-res uncompressed (but once again, to work it with video the streams would have to be 1:1)
  10. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    no! no! no!

Pixlet is not used for stuff like this.

The movie "Finding Nemo" in Pixlet format would take up 21 Gigabytes of storage.

(One single-layer DVD holds 4.7 Gigabytes)

Pixlet is NOT for end consumer use.