Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I had to ship my TiBook to Apple today (AppleCare work) and have to use the peecee for online stuff until it returns. :( Needless to say, after struggling to get my chat engines to work for the past two plus hours I am ready to put out a contract on bill gates. It was a snap to set up under OS X, but windblows 2000 is just plain nasty. I'm not going to even try and get email on this thing.

If only the hard core peecee users could see how much sweeter the Mac OS is, I think they would convert. As many seem to have lately.

I am now praying that my TiBook is fixed and returned to me before the weekend... Apple will have it on Wednesday, maybe they can fix it on Thursday and then ship it back out for Friday delivery. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I was having screen flicker in the bottom left hand side of the display. It has been happing for some time now, and I finally had enough over the weekend. It is one of three parts.. either the power inverted, screen itself, or the logic board. I am kind of hoping for the logic board and that they don't have any of the 500MHz rev. a's in stock and that they give me an 'upgrade' to the 667 :D. THAT would be sweeeeeeet!!!! Not counting on that, but I am counting on the problem being fixed before it returns to me. There is also a brightness shift/loss on the left third or so. If you have a page with a white background it really shows up.

Since I do have the AppleCare protection on it, and had called the issue in a while ago, I decided to get it taken care of. This Saturday I get the Harley, and I am hoping to be riding most of the day as well as using it on Sunday. I will still miss having the TiBook, even for the few days it is gone.

I did configure most online things on the game peecee, but it is about 20x easier on the Mac. I didn't have to d*ck around with the Mac to get AIM, Yahoo or ICQ to go online where I did have to fight with the peecee to get those to work properly. I have also lost some of the bud's on the messengers, at least until I get my lovely TiBook back...

I got the extra warranty on that, but not on the truck :D ... shows which I value more at this point. Besides, the truck comes with a three year coverage. I will be getting an extended warranty on the motorcycle though, since it has a one year from the factory.

Here's hoping for dry weather for this weekend, and nice days for next week too.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
hoping not to jinx myself...

like I've said...I haven't had any of the problems that plagued TiBook users since I got my Rev. A....

and I know I need to get my AppleCare in soon... ;)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
2002 Harley Davidson Softail Standard (carb. model, not EFI). 88ci engine, with some modifications. Such as Vance and Hines big shots pipes, screamin eagle air filter, getting the carb's jetted for those two items. Also getting a pair of HD saddlebages (leather of course), a windshield and the wide rear tire kit (puts a 150 tire on it instead of the stock 130).

I am really looking forward to finally picking up the bike. Pretty much all the dealerships are sold out of that model, along with a few others. All the way through next year too (for HD's 100th year models). Very glad that I put money down to secure my order when I did a few months back. If I hadn't, then I might not be getting it for months and months, if not longer.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Harley

My dad used to own a Harley, but he had to sell it. It was a 199...6 dyna-lowrider. It had about 1000 miles on it, and leather saddlebags, big golde and silver eagle air filter, and lots of extras. He spend like 18k on it, but sold it for a little more I believe.

I only got to ride on it about....5 times in my whole life, and it was sooo damn fun. Hey Alpha, if you ever...ya know...are in the area, come pick me up!;)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
IF I ever make it anywhere near CA I might look ya up... that, of course, will be right after HFO :) . One of the great things about Harley's is that you can often sell them for more then you pay for them, and have put into them. When I get mine, I could probably turn around and sell it for more then I am paying along with all the parts. The only problem is that I would then be without a ride.

I sold my old ride in order to put some money down. Also sold my G4 tower to use to put some more money down. Both were worthy sacrifices to the great God Harley Davidson :D

It's going to be a good year for me... now if only Apple releases either a chrome PowerBook, or the G5 tower...

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Hehehe

Originally posted by MacAztec
Wait...*drooling*
sorry, thought of a chromed powerbook.
Napkins anyone?

ROTFLMAO!!!!! I would buy one in about two heartbeats... it would take two, since it would stop for a few before that... :D

Better grab a mop... :D

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i'm a PC user, but i should be getting a TiBook in a few months. i'm using Windows XP at the moment, and i'd say that it has to be the best Windows ever, but it's all i've ever used. once i have the TiBook i'll be able to post my thoughts as a PC user only just using a Mac. most PC users have never been near a Mac, i'm going to be one of the lucky ones!

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Grrrrrrr Apple Repairs

I had exactly the same screen problems as Alphatech, exactly the same!!!

I got my Rev A Ti Book 500 last March, in this time, the hardrive completely destroyed itself (it was an IBM one) this took 2 weeks to fix, and then my screen started to play up, weird flashing of the back light towards the bottom left of the screen that made the screen flicker, and then I had so many dead and stuck pixels start cropping up, I called Apple Uk, it took them 8 working days to pick it up, (they said they had a system fault....) this was Mid-November 2001, I didn't get it back till the second week of Jan 2002..... I was so p****d..... I had to keep ringing Apple, and was told they had the parts in, then I was told they didn't have the parts in, lies, damn lies..... :mad:

in the end I got UK trading Standards involved as Apple were displaying a complete lack of Trading Standards, then suprise suprise I get my Powerbook back with a new screen......

It took them 8 weeks from the initial call to them getting it back to me....... There was apparantly a shortage of screens...... but they were completely unhelpful, were not prepared to lend me a machine, even though they screwed up and it took an extra 8 days to even pick the thing up...... (normally I wouldn't expect them to loan a machine out, but they screwed up) I was most annoyed though that they kept lying to me with regards to its repair status..... I hope Aphatech you don't suffer the same service......

I was so hacked off!!! although.... I'll still love em.....:D

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Forgot to say......

The replacement screen they put on my Ti Book has 2 dead pixels and 1 stuck one:rolleyes:

Don they check these things!!:rolleyes:

At least the flashing is gone though!!!!:D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
iGAV, Apple has a policy in place related to number of dead pixels on a screen that are acceptable. One or two are well below that number. Do, or did, you have the AppleCare protection policy on the TiBook?? I think that Apple might favor those people first when it comes to repairs, since they invested extra money for an extended warranty along with on-site service (if possible). I have the protection, since I fully intend to keep the TiBook for another two years before replacing it.

I have sent in different generations of PowerBooks to Apple over the past two years plus, and we typically see them back in less time then we are told. Either way, I was told 5-7 days, not business days (got that confirmed) real days from when they receive the laptop until it is back in my greedy hands. I am hoping that it takes less time, since I am going through OS withdrawal at the moment... My medications of choice are either good coffee or Guinness :D.

I am secretly praying to the Apple Gods that they also replace the logic board, and are out of the rev a 500's and need to put in a rev b 667 :D. I can dream since I don't have much chance of that happening. As long as the screen stops acting up with the flickering and brightness shift when looking directly at it I will be satisfied. I will be truely happy, bordering on estatic, if they give me a logic board upgrade. Granted, one of my memory chips won't work (PC100 512MB chip), but I can probably exchange that for a PC133 from the vendor I got them both from.

If it's not back before the weekend, I hope to be able to get some motorcycle therapy in to help me get through it. I am also praying to the greater God Harley Davidson for that to happen too. :D

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by AlphaTech

I am secretly praying to the Apple Gods that they also replace the logic board, and are out of the rev a 500's and need to put in a rev b 667 :D. I can dream since I don't have much chance of that happening. As long as the screen stops acting up with the flickering and brightness shift when looking directly at it I will be satisfied. I will be truely happy, bordering on estatic, if they give me a logic board upgrade. Granted, one of my memory chips won't work (PC100 512MB chip), but I can probably exchange that for a PC133 from the vendor I got them both from.

Dont count on it. We sent in a Powerbook G3 500 like...last year and they had discontinued them by about 8 months already. But...still...they sent it back very new, but there were some good things.

There was a problem with the computer, so we sent it in (data problem). We got it back about a week later, and it had a new motherboard, in there. We got back, and it still it had a data failure. So we sent it back, and they gave us a whole new computer, but left the RAM in there.

Turns out, when we got it back, we took out that RAM, and it was faulty.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
everyday i see a new reason i finally took the Mac plunge. OS X is simply a dream. I have a NOTEBOOK (iBook) going constantly in and out of sleep all day everyday. The screenie says it all.

Attachments

• wow23.jpg
    wow23.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 609

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Dead stuck pixels.....

Hi AlphaTech,

When I was still on my first screen, it came with 2 dead and stuck pixels, when I spoke to Apple UK, they said they'd need to be atleast 3 damaged pixels for them to consider replacement and that depended on where they were positioned!! :rolleyes: I just laugh at the fact that the screen that they replaced the old one with, is already on the borderline!!! :D

After 3 months that's when my screen really degraded, I conservatively estimate that when my screen started to really screw up, there was upwards of 50 either stuck or damaged pixels clustered in the centre of my screen, and the backlight was flickering away in the bottom left of my screen, when the machine went into repair in November it was only 8 months old.... still under the 12 month Apple Warranty, however because of Apple taking their time to fix it, I lost almost 2 months of usable warranty because they'd had it for so long!!! At the time I didn't have Applecare as my machine was still within their 12 month warranty....... I'd be thoroughly hacked off if they were favouring Applecare repairs over standard 12 month warranties....... although I do doubt that as I was told it was on priority status because of their earlier screw up....... Priorty = 8 weeks in the end!!! :rolleyes:

When my machine went dead with a downed hard drive in the summer, (3 months old) Apple's service was pretty good, so I know they can do it, however when it went in with screen problem, they should have put me in the picture with regards to replacing the screen and the length of time it may take to repair, not tell me that things that weren't true!!! and on this occasion the service was sub-standard and totally shocking!! 8 weeks is far too long to replace a screen, I know 15.2" widescreen TFT's don't grow on trees and all, but if they knew they'd be problems with fitting a replacement screen they should have replaced the Ti Book, simple as that!!

I do however now have Applecare and insurance against loss of earnings because of a downed machine.......

I know this isn't usual service from Apple, and I still adore their products.... it was just unfortunate that I had to experience it!!

Oh well.........:rolleyes:

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Hey Alphatech,

I think we've had this conversation before, but I'm hoping for some warmer dry weather this weekend also. You are absolutely right about being able to sell your bike for more than you've put into it. I bought my fairly stock 84 lowrider about 3 years ago, and just last fall (right before it got cold) got it out of the shop. I put into it about what I paid for the bike, but could sell it tomorrow and still profit.

I really liked the bike when I first got it because it didn't look like all the new harleys everyone was riding around. But, it did look a lot like them, thus, I dove headfirst into working on it. Just like computer people like adding ram, changing drives, etc... I went completely nuts with my bike.

When you've replaced enough on the bike that you can build a new bike from all the pieces in the garage with the addition of just a new engine and frame, you know you've got "your" bike, not a showroom bike. I'd need new tires too I guess..., but you get my point.

Now you've got me seriously itching for this rain to stop and the weather to warm up just a little more.

Enjoy your new bike, wear a helmet, and drive safe.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
It's back!!!

Well, my TiBook returned to me this morning... oh happy dayz. From the included sheet of paper from Apple, they replaced the motherboard as well as my keyboard (was starting to wear in places from using it so much :D ). Needless to say, a one day turnaround is great in anyone's book. I shipped it out on Tuesday, they had it Wednesday and then shipped it back so that I had it this morning. Talk about excellent service. It also might have helped that I did a lot of the trouble shooting for them, but then again, being a tech, I had to :D.

Now, all I need to do is make sure the flicker doesn't return to me with the two or so years that the Applecare covers :D.

I was in serious need of this last night, since I was dealing with the peecee again. That is ok for games, but for everything else, only a Mac will do for me.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Spot on........

Did they fix you a new screen aswell?

3 day turn around is outstanding...... now get on that mac boy!!:D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Same screen that was on it before... I didn't have any dead or malfunctioning pixels before. I guess the flaw was with the logic board somewhere (probably the video card on it). I am on it right now, and man did I miss it. Now the peecee can stay silent until I feel a need to game later. That is, unless I decide to use one of my OS X native games :D.

I didn't expect it back this fast (less then one day turnaround since it got to them yesterday, and I have it today) so I didn't bring my laptop bag in today. I have one here that I can borrow to bring it home safely and then use my other one next time. I am seriously thinking about getting one of the zero hard cases for it now. That way, I KNOW it is protected from just about anything that could come it's way.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Hardcase

A guy I know has a metal hardcase for his Ti Book, it's outrageously cool!! set him back around £100...... as you say though seriously worth it!!!

I recall Apple mentioning something about the logic board on my mac when my screen started flickering...... I had so many dead cluster pixels though that it looked like Elma Fudd had put a shot gun to the screen and pulled the trigger!!!:D

As for games..... I like using my Ti Book one of the most powerful laptops ever for playing Outrun..... it runs so smoothly!!!:D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: It's back!!!

Originally posted by AlphaTech
Well, my TiBook returned to me this morning... oh happy dayz. From the included sheet of paper from Apple, they replaced the motherboard as well as my keyboard.

So I have to know, with the motherboard replaced, is it still running at 500MHz?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Re: It's back!!!

Originally posted by dukestreet

So I have to know, with the motherboard replaced, is it still running at 500MHz?

Yeah, it's still a 500MHz version (rev. a). I guess they have enough in stock to cover for a while now. At least everything works properly, at least so far. They didn't have to replace the keyboard on the TiBook, since it was still fully functional, just showing signs of usage. You know, some keys get shined up faster then others since you use them more. Plus the space bar was showing where I hit it :D. Maybe in another year or so, if I need additional service done, they will slide in a rev. b board :D. I won't hold my breathe, since I don't expect to have the issue return.

I am just so very happy to have it back so that I can keep the peecee silent until I need to vent with some good old fashioned fun. The kind that leaves blood splatters all over the arena and such :D.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
getting a rev b motherboard is very possible since the cost of keeping old stuff around is prohibitive...you need building space to house all the stuff and every square inch costs time and money...that is one reason why apple care is not $99.00 dollars for three years

now if computers never changed, then an extended warranty would be cheaper but then again, you would never have the chance to get a rev.b motherboard

i have heard of people getting "better" stuff in their extended warranties and if and when something does break down, that shows the positive aspect of an extended warranty

i got an extended warranty for a heavy duty muffler then i heard a review saying don't get an extended warranty for a muffler of that type since they are built to last longer than the car i was repairing

for computers, if you plan to keep it longer than one year like me, an extended warranty is good, but for many computer addicts in the silicon valley, having a machine 12 months is unheard of since many buy machines every time they leave the house and there is this place called fry's superstores which are the size of small cities which cater to the addicts who can afford the new toys...i just go there and drool a lot:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.