Finding PC's on a router ---> airport network

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ac2102, Nov 19, 2003.

1. ac2102 macrumors member

ac2102

Right, we have just set up a DSL router in our house and being the only mac user i had to be awkard and get an AE Base station.

So the configuration is such that all my housemates are wired directly into the router, wheras i am linked to it via my Base Station. This allows me to connect to the internet with no problems at all and i can even ping the ip addresses of the other PC's on the network. But i cannot find any way of actually browsing shared folders.

Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance.

ac2102

2. sef macrumors newbie

Try looking at this site:

http://jd.manilasites.com/2002/12/04

I've been battling with the same problem for a few days now, and the above page sorted the whole thing out. Initially I was able (eventually!) to get my pc [windows 2000] and Mac [os 10.3] - to share files on a local ethernet network via my ADSL router. It all went down the drain though when I chose to substitute my old graphite airport and connect the Mac wirelessly. Answer's actually quite straightforward: In the Airport Admin Utility Network tab, uncheck the Distribute IP Addresses checkbox and the problem's solved.

Check out the site above for an explanation why this works!

3. ac2102 thread starter macrumors member

ac2102

sef

I tried what you suggested and read all of the information on the site you mentioned with not quite the desired result!

My router is giving out IP's in the range 10.0.0.2 - 5. Before, i had my AEBS set up at 10.0.0.3, and so its network was set up starting at 10.0.1.1 (its IP when i looked at it) giving me an IP of 10.0.1.2.

After disabling the "distribute ip's" checkbox, the IP address of the Base Station now comes up as 10.0.0.3 (the IP it is assigned by the router), but i have a very random one! (169.254.120.46) What i don't understand is how i can connect to the network if the AEBS has an IP, but i do not. Any help?

Thanks in advance,

ac2102

PS I have reverted back to my original settings so that i can use the internet again.

4. ac2102 thread starter macrumors member

ac2102

Sorted!

I had the router plugged into the WAN port on my AEBS, not the ethernet!

Problem solved,

thanks for your tip sef, that was the extra thing i needed!

5. sef macrumors newbie

Phew

Glad to hear, as I was just sitting here trying to get my brain round your "randomly" assigned IP address :)