Finding Something

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fearless Leader, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

What methods do you guys/gals use to remember where you put stuff and what do you do to prevent loosing it to begin with?

I ask this because everyweek it seems i loose something of value and cant find it for a while. And i lost my camera, which was a gift, and it is driving me mad :mad:

2. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

One room at a time - been there, done that.

I have also learned to carry a dust rag with me and get two things done at the same time! :rolleyes:

3. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

Well, if you're Catholic you could try praying to St. Anthony. I know some people who do that and swear by it! Never tried it myself.

Probably you could pray to him even if you're not Catholic, but I've only ever heard of Catholics doing it.

4. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Usually, it's all on my desk. Although I've been missing my OS X Tiger Install Disk that came with my iBook for about 6 month - 1 year so I can't reinstall GarageBand. :( Please Apple, release Leopard soon!!!

5. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

On top of this I live in two homes, leave stuff at school, gym, and library. last two are public places and the public mostly goes "ohhh ahhh camera, nice. losers weeper finders keepers" :mad:

some good news Found an old wallet of mine with $150 in cash :) and my original starcraft cds. I only had a copy of a copy of a friends...

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm definitely not the person to ask. I forget and lose things all the time, likely more often than anyone else I know. I'm pretty well-known for losing things.

7. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

Sounds pretty serious. Yeah, I agree: it's rare to get a valuable item back.

Have you tried some sort of organizing system: drawers, cubbies, or the like? That might help you find things at home, anyway.

8. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I tried that and it didn't work. Everything I've tried has failed so far... drawers, boxes, strings, hooks, etc... I'd set it up and then forget to use them, or worse, end up with so many organizational systems that i'd forget how I'd set the system up in the first place.

I've found the best solution is to have duplicates of almost anything. I have two laptop power adapters, two watches, two sets of keys, two pairs of glasses, etc... only everyday thing that isn't duplicated is my wallet (which I try to leave on the island in our kitchen) and my cellphone (which I can call if I loose it).

On a positive note I did find a set of car keys that had been missing for almost a year. It was going to cost me $250 to have them replaced. I found them in a tool box of all places.

9. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

Well that's good, anyway. What about just having a basket where you throw your essentials: keys, wallet, and such? That's what I do with the little things that tend to get misplaced.

10. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

that's what i have to do for my husband. we have a desk/counter built in by the back door of the kitchen, above which i hung a key holder/hook thing. on the counter i have both of our cell charger cables, as well as a basket to hold the phones and his wallet. he uses the key rack because it's there in close proximity...and i've been using it as well, and it's helped me keep track of my things better. it's a staging area, if you will. it is helpful to have two sets of things, just in case.

when you're out and about, try your best to have a mental checklist of what valuables you have with you. as you're preparing to leave, go over your mental checklist. "wallet, check....keys, check....camera, check...." chances are you carry the same stuff every day, so this shouldn't be too difficult. :)

11. Apemanblues macrumors regular

Apemanblues

I use a blend of modern voodoo and old testament style animal sacrifice.

I get mixed results, but I find that three dead chickens usually reveals the location of a set of house keys.

12. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Whats worked for me is to always put things in the exact same place every time. For example, when I get home I have a specific place to put my keys (which I used to always misplace). Same with pretty much everything else, except bills, I seem to misplace them a lot. After a week or so of putting things in the same place it becomes a habit that you dont even think about anymore.

13. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

will try

14. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I agree with the above posters who have suggested having just one small basket for things, as opposed to an elaborate system of cubbies or hooks. I have a basket on the hall table, and whenever I come in the door, I put my keys in the basket, along with my iPod, my gloves, hat, sunglasses, and any other lose items I have on me, and then I put my purse next to the basket. This way, everything I need to run out the door is always in the same spot, but it's not a complicated system, so I have an easier time sticking to it (this was the problem with the cubbies, hooks, etc.) For the first week or so, I had to remind myself to put the stuff there, but now it's automatic.

15. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Gosh... spotlight for keys would be absolutely wonderful.

Yeah... I've tried that. I have a basket for keys at home and I try to always have the cellphone attached to its charger, my glasses on top of the stereo, and my wallet on the island. The problem for me is that I have many sets of keys (I drive 4 different cars regularly) and that all the precautions in the world won't do you any good if you screw up once. Like my key's in the toolbox.

I just have horrible luck with keys in general. For example my first day in the dorms I managed to drop my keys through a wooden bridge into a pond in front of my house. That was $180 dollars down the drain. I'm also really bad about absentmindedly setting them down at friend's houses or at work and forgetting about them.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

To add to what i said about having a huge problem with "carelessness" as well, I just wanted to mention that I never misplace my wallet, but I always misplace my keys. It's almost a daily issue.

I even have a place in my room to keep my keys and mobile phone, and yet even now, as I type this reply, my keys aren't there. :eek: And where's my mobile phone? I guess i better call it again.

Do you have ADD?

17. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

Me no, or at least I've never been tested for it.
    Too bad I can't call my camera.

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Cannot diagnose you with early onset alzheimers, since you likely still remember how to use the objects you are losing.

When you can find your keys, and forget what they are used for ... then you have a problem. :)

19. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Finger ties!

finger.jpg

...but sometimes I forget what it was I was trying to remember. :eek:

20. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

Good news guys I couldn't get any live chickens so I went to our freezer to get some and OMG my camera was in there.

After looking in all the logical places I became very abstract and started looking in some weird places. I eventually found it in our extra freezer which has been off for the past couple of weeks thankfully.