Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RiGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
So I was looking through Cydia and found this little app.

It runs in the background and talks to a server at user-determined time intervals, telling it where the phone is.

The phone won't report your location unless you configure the settings via the service's webpage. When you log into the site and report the phone as stolen, the phone will start sending out its location.

The service also allows you to track a phone without reporting it as stolen (useful to track your kids' location or that cheating gf/bf - stalk much?).

Bummer is you have to pay $2/month for maximum accuracy (otherwise it's accurate to within 2 miles). But still... $24/yr is cheap insurance I guess.

I only just installed it, so I don't know how it'll affect battery life. We'll see after a few days.

This still seems to be at beta stage, but it looks promising.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
So I was looking through Cydia and found this little app.

It runs in the background and talks to a server at user-determined time intervals, telling it where the phone is.

The phone won't report your location unless you configure the settings via the service's webpage. When you log into the site and report the phone as stolen, the phone will start sending out its location.

The service also allows you to track a phone without reporting it as stolen (useful to track your kids' location or that cheating gf/bf - stalk much?).

Bummer is you have to pay $2/month for maximum accuracy (otherwise it's accurate to within 2 miles). But still... $24/yr is cheap insurance I guess.

I only just installed it, so I don't know how it'll affect battery life. We'll see after a few days.

This still seems to be at beta stage, but it looks promising.

Like the idea. Someone steals my phone and I will track the bastard.

However, some people will protest because of privacy.

jarjarblinks

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2008
This very app caused me 3 hours of misery.

Upon installation, my iPhone bricked up immediately. The screen froze, and I had to do a hard reset by depressing both power and home buttons. When I fired it up again, I was stuck at the SOS call option. I plugged it into my MB, iTunes stated that there was no SIM card connected or I had to key in a SIM pin, which I did not set.

I attempted to do a rest via DFU mode. It was only at the 12th or 13th attempt that I was successful. In either way, I only managed to restore it to 2 weeks old settings. This means, I lost some of my contacts and apps installed in that interim period.

Dont know whether if its a case of the app of a case of my iPhone. Fact is, im staying far far away from this app from now on.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
This very app caused me 3 hours of misery.

Upon installation, my iPhone bricked up immediately. The screen froze, and I had to do a hard reset by depressing both power and home buttons. When I fired it up again, I was stuck at the SOS call option. I plugged it into my MB, iTunes stated that there was no SIM card connected or I had to key in a SIM pin, which I did not set.

I attempted to do a rest via DFU mode. It was only at the 12th or 13th attempt that I was successful. In either way, I only managed to restore it to 2 weeks old settings. This means, I lost some of my contacts and apps installed in that interim period.

Dont know whether if its a case of the app of a case of my iPhone. Fact is, im staying far far away from this app from now on.

Beta app... OP said... yes, that's why I stay away from newly released apps.

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
Like the idea. Someone steals my phone and I will track the bastard.

However, some people will protest because of privacy and yada yada yada.

I won't protest but I am concerned about privacy.

I have home insurance to cover me from stolen/accidental loss/breakage, I really don't like the idea of this app but each to their own.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I won't protest but I am concerned about privacy.

I have home insurance to cover me from stolen/accidental loss/breakage, I really don't like the idea of this app but each to their own.

I couldn't agree more. To each their own, I didn't want to sound disrespectful to people concerned to privacy. wording misuse on ym part.

RiGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
I've had it installed for a bout a day and it's working perfectly. Their website seems to be a bit buggy though. Getting server errors every now and then.

Re privacy... agreed: each to their own.

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
I couldn't agree more. To each their own, I didn't want to sound disrespectful to people concerned to privacy. wording misuse on ym part.

You weren't being disrespectful! I think I just worded it wrong.

I think having any mobile device can be a concern for those worried about privacy, my friend won't buy an iphone because he is worried about A-GPS even though he desperatly wants one.

Sure I am concerned about it too, but I refuse to let that bother me to the point of not being able to use/have the things I want :)

gazpilot

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2008
ilocalis

ilocalis does this and a lot more, a one donation of a few $. I have it running on 2 3G's and have had no probs.

Bear Hunter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2008
Just asking the obvious question. Does location services have to be enabled, or can one simply disable the app by turning location services off?

staninfrance

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
I installed Findmyi -- now only operates in safe mode

I installed Findmyi, and now I can only function in safe mode on my iPod. I cannot uninstall Findmyi, so I'm up a creek for the moment. When I boot my 2G iPod now, I get a window with four paragraphs. The first says, "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Springboard has just crashed.

There's another paragraph, and then the 3rd paragraph says Your device is now running in Safemode, etc.

Rebooting changes nothing.

Any ideas?

Stan

staninfrance

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
I went into Cydia to delete the app

I went into Cydia, deleted findmyi, rebooted, but I still get the window with the safescreen message. I cannot operate out of the safescreen mood. I don't want to restore the device unless I have to, but... I'm about ready to.

I'm grateful I hadn't yet installed findmyi on my iPod. It is working perfectly in the jailbroken mode.

Stan

gtfxxx

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2008
I went into Cydia, deleted findmyi, rebooted, but I still get the window with the safescreen message. I cannot operate out of the safescreen mood. I don't want to restore the device unless I have to, but... I'm about ready to.

I'm grateful I hadn't yet installed findmyi on my iPod. It is working perfectly in the jailbroken mode.

Stan

Hey...I had the same issue thanks to 'FindMyi'. iPhone 4 continued going into safe mode, within seconds of rebooting, directly after installing 'FindMyi". I removed the app using cydia, and yet, my phone would still force into 'Safe Mode' almost immediately after rebooting. So after removing the app, i went into:

Settings->Reset->Reset All Settings

surprisingly enough this worked for me, havent seen the 'safe mode' since. Hope this helps man!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.