Fingerprint scanner question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tom2893, Sep 13, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Tom2893

Do you actually have to press the home button? Because I've seen a lot of hands on vids and they always accidentally activate siri? Wouldn't this become annoying?

2. macrumors 68020

I believe how it works is you press the button to wake the phone, then rest your thumb on the button to scan.

3. macrumors 6502a

Nope. You don't have to press the button. Just place the finger and it will unlock, the metal ring around the home button knows your finger is on the sensor.

4. macrumors 6502

timeconsumer

At first I didn't think I'd use this feature and just use the passcode lock, now I think I will most likely use this feature.

5. macrumors 68030

Spink10

Ditto

6. macrumors 6502

Every time I've entered my unlock password or Apple ID in the last week it has seemed to take extra long. :)

7. macrumors 6502

timeconsumer

So true!

8. macrumors regular

From watching the video Ive seen youre wrong. You have to either hit the home button or the sleep/wake button up top to activate the screen then use the FP scanner to unlock the phone.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

Tom2893

thanks for the answers, either way i cant wait to get my hands on the 5S

10. macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

I think that when you keep your finger for more that 2 secs It will unlock the phone, we'll see :)

11. macrumors 6502a

I noticed in a few videos that peoplehaveprssed the button trying to automate it but the Apple expert has said "just press your finger down lightly".

It unlocks too fast though to see whether the screen comes on because of a button press or just the sensor activating.

12. macrumors 601

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-5s/videos/#video-touch

You only have to touch it, not press it.

13. macrumors 6502a

No. You're wrong. Watch the video again. If you had to hold down the home button Siri would come up, you actually see some people pressing down the button and Siri did come up. You lightly touch the button with a bit of pressure to get good finger print reading.

14. macrumors 6502a

I think the issue is that the habit is that when your finger goes to the home button that you're pressing it in some manner, which has been the only use for several years now. With the advent of the FP sensor you obviously have a new option with the home button.

15. macrumors regular

As I stated earlier...YOU ARE WRONG!!! Please scroll down in the attached AI article to where they show the new FP scanner and you will see that you have to depress the home button to activate the screen then replace your finger on the scanner to unlock it.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...powered-iphone-5s-with-new-m7-camera-touch-id

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM2sZLLWHeI&feature=player_embedded

http://youtu.be/GM2sZLLWHeI

16. dojoman, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

macrumors 6502a

We can go all day. Lol. I think it should still unlock without pressing.

17. macrumors member

But that's not how it works. You have to wake the phone before the scanner will work.

Another video showing this is SlashGears where the guy touches his finger to the FP scanner but doesn't press the button. The phone doesn't wake or unlock until its pressed which you can see here http://youtu.be/9-ppMRFcDWk?t=3m49s

18. macrumors regular

You do? Well I think it should unlock with eyes...I look at my phone and it wakes and asks me what I'd like it to do. This is not a back and forth debatable issue. It wont allow you to unlock it unless you depress the home or sleep/wake button.

19. macrumors 6502a

Unless you have 5s in front of you there's no concrete way to know. I saw another video the guy unlocked it by just tapping not pressing.
    Yeah unlock with eyes Samsung will come out with this.

20. macrumors regular

Now I can say youre right. I hope to answer this for the both of us on the 20th, and I cant wait. I have the 5 now but I'll upgrade the wifes line and giver her mine...I dont need it but I dang surre want it.

21. macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

That's wrong, you have to press the home/power button to wake the phone, as always.

22. macrumors 601

rockyroad55

We really will know how when the press embargoes are lifted on Wednesday.

23. macrumors newbie

I'm concerned about the fact that its flat now, will it feel as good to press?

24. macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

You are correct, and I redact my previous statement:D

25. macrumors 6502