Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wchong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Miami, Fl
do you know if there is a fingerprint scanner for the iMac or for any mac products? if there is could you point them out and if there is not do you believe mac will be adding this in the near future for more "security"

Thanks

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i don't know if the external fingerprint readers are compatible with Macs.

i doubt Apple will add a fingerprint sensor - Macs were recently rated the most secure notebooks. with FileVault (in addition to basic password protection), it's no surprise that Macs don't need a fingerprint sensor.

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
it would be a pretty sweet function though!! think about it - if your laptop required you to put your thumb on the touch pad for a fingerprint scan before it would boot up or wake for sleep!!
noone would ever have any reason to steal your laptop since it would be absolutely useless to them!!!

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
livingfortoday said:

i don't think that looks very good. at least with the IBM fingerprint sensors, they are built-in nicely and look like they actually belong there.

the Western zoo said:
it would be a pretty sweet function though!! think about it - if your laptop required you to put your thumb on the touch pad for a fingerprint scan before it would boot up or wake for sleep!!
noone would ever have any reason to steal your laptop since it would be absolutely useless to them!!!

all fingerprint sensors (that i know of, at least) have a feature to circumvent the fingerprint sensor and just enter a password.

Frogurt

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2006
pianoman said:
i don't know if the external fingerprint readers are compatible with Macs.

i doubt Apple will add a fingerprint sensor - Macs were recently rated the most secure notebooks. with FileVault (in addition to basic password protection), it's no surprise that Macs don't need a fingerprint sensor.

AFAIK, none of Apple's security will protect your laptop from being stolen and having it's hard drive yanked and replaced, or reformatted. Many PC fingerprint scanners tie into the BIOS so that even if someone steals your notebook it is worthless to them. They can't reformat the hard drive or install a new one to bypass the fingerprint scanner. It doesn't get your comuter back, but does prevent data loss and discourages theft.

kondspi

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
NC
Do you think that some software could be made so that the trackpad acts as a fingerprint sensor?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
Frogurt said:
AFAIK, none of Apple's security will protect your laptop from being stolen and having it's hard drive yanked and replaced, or reformatted. Many PC fingerprint scanners tie into the BIOS so that even if someone steals your notebook it is worthless to them. They can't reformat the hard drive or install a new one to bypass the fingerprint scanner. It doesn't get your comuter back, but does prevent data loss and discourages theft.

FileVault encrypts your data so it is unrecoverable. If I can get around a fingerprint scanner by entering a password instead, I doubt it's tied to the BIOS. However, the only fingerprint scanners I've dealt with are IBM's built-in ones. Other scanners may have different features.

I read somewhere about using the iSight as a face recognition device for security purposes. That would be interesting. As for the fingerprint sensor, I don't know if Apple can cram anything else into their already-stuffed notebooks.

wchong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Miami, Fl
pianoman said:
FileVault encrypts your data so it is unrecoverable. If I can get around a fingerprint scanner by entering a password instead, I doubt it's tied to the BIOS. However, the only fingerprint scanners I've dealt with are IBM's built-in ones. Other scanners may have different features.

I read somewhere about using the iSight as a face recognition device for security purposes. That would be interesting. As for the fingerprint sensor, I don't know if Apple can cram anything else into their already-stuffed notebooks.

well the only thing i've heard about the iSight is that it is used with the program called iAlertU which takes a picture of the person who takes ur laptop and sends the picture to your email.

here's a preview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7JxrNNlFbA

Frogurt

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2006
pianoman said:

BIOS can have passwords too. Quick google search on IBM/Lenovo, check out this page which states the fingerprint reader can be tied to the BIOS password...
http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/security/fingerprintreader.html
All security schemes will use some sort of a password, otherwise how would a user validate who they are? A fingerprint reader is just another form of password, but one you can't forget or lose (hopefully). FileVault uses a password too.

kondispi-I doubt it because of the resolution needed to read fingerprints. It would improve things though, three fingers at the same time or a palm print. Just spitballing, but if you could put some pinhole cameras underneath a piece of polycarbonate, you might be able to track a fingers movement across the surface and take pictures of fingerprints.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Man i love mythbusters. I dont like the american version though (the narrator) he isnt as funny as the British one. Never actually seen that episode :eek:

wchong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Miami, Fl
Willis said:
Man i love mythbusters. I dont like the american version though (the narrator) he isnt as funny as the British one. Never actually seen that episode :eek:

i love it too, and it's amazing at how easy they broke through a "never broken before" door lock

macaddicted

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Down on Copperline...
I have one on my Lenovo laptop. It is a royal pain in the butt, and not worth the trouble since you can circumvent it by simply entering the password.

When it works its adequate. When it doesn't, and it didn't most of the time for me, it is excruciating.

infinityharry

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2010
UK - Cheshire
microsoft fingerprint reader

it would be great if someone could write a program for the microsoft fingerprint reader as you can pick them up for about $15 nowadays

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The main advantage of a fingerprint scanner TO ME is to save time entering the password for logging in, network sharing, website authentication, etc. Almost as fast and easy as no password at all (or autofill), but much safer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.