Finish with WoW... Looking for a new game !

Discussion in 'Games' started by phill1234, Feb 21, 2006.

1. phill1234 macrumors member

phill1234

Like the titles says. Im preety much done with WoW it gets boring after a while. Now I want to move on to a new game. I play FPS , RPG , MMORPG and Strategy... any suggestions ?? THX :)

EDIT : I got a mac mini... Forgot to mention that

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I am also itching for a new MMORPG or strategy game.

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

4. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

you get your poppy cock out of here

5. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I was actually thinking of second life. Anyone have any opinions on this game?

6. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

After my beta run, then playing from WoW game-launch for a year with 2 very nicely pimped Horde lvl 60's (hunter and rogue)...I decided to play real life and have not been disappointed. Though I'd like to hear of a game that can provide as much fun AND emersion without as much dedication.

Big...yellow...ball...in...sky...

Make it stop!

7. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

go back to playstation and play final fantasy 7 and then 8.

8. Uma888 macrumors 6502

Try Deus Ex (PC) (NOT invisible war) , Baldurs Gate1/2 and Diablo 1/2/LOD. City Of vilians is cool aswell (if your ok with paying for a game monthly)

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I have been so tempted to play through FFVII again. ;) If they release it for PS3 I'll buy the console for that game alone - well, that and maybe MGS4 too. :eek: :cool:

As for MMORPGs, I think the only one I would ever play is the one that hasn't been released yet - World of Starcraft. :eek: But Blizzard better get their stuff together and release Starcraft 2 first - it's been far too long of a wait. :cool:

10. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

What kind of performance should one expect playing WoW on a mac mini? I have the silent upgrade mini.

FPS: Call of Duty
    RPG: Baldurs Gate
    RTS: Age of Empires II

11. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

can someone comment a little bit more on Baldurs Gate ? it's got a GREAT review at InsideMacGames.com......... 9.25/10 (that's high!)

is it a monthly paid game?..online? can someone orient me a little bit....... i like WoW but i really don't like the idea of paying monthly :( i'm not very steady with my gaming so, i can probably play everyday for a month, but then another month i'd barely touch the damn game...... :(

12. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

review: Real Life
    :D :D :p :p :eek: :eek:

13. The Red Wolf macrumors regular

The Red Wolf

Fallout!

They're old. But Good. Best Post Apocalyptic Retro-Future RPG ever made... Fallout, Fallout 2, Wasteland, Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (Needs a PC or WinTel 2.2.1 to emulate will not touch any M$ product). They'll keep you entertained for days and then WoWC Burning Crusade will come out and you'll have to play Horde Blood Elves and see Outland and the like... Or they could make World of StarCraft...

~The Red Wolf~

14. noelister macrumors 6502

FF7 was sooooooooooo good. If they release it on PS3 it will be very temping to buy the console for that game.

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Mark me down as another former WoW junkie who is very glad to be free from that and living in the real world.

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You might as well have cut and pasted my above response and saved yourself some time. :p ;)

Yeah, FFVII on the PS3 would be simply amazing. :cool:

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Now now, let's leave my ball out of this..

18. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Its quite good fun actually, quite different to anything else. Its free basic membership which is enough if you don't want to own land but tis a good way to try it out.

19. bgarry macrumors newbie

Try Battleground Europe if you like WWII games. It is a mix of strategy, MMORPG, and FPS with a simulation mindset.

http://www.wwiionline.com/scripts/wwiionline/index.jsp

Basically it's Allied vs. Axis (British & French vs. Germany) on a huge scale. You can be infantry, airforce or navy and with that comes many flavors of both trooper and vehicles. Everything from a simple rifleman to helming a destroyer, driving a panzer tank or piloting a spitfire.

The battlefield is huge and run by players in High Command (HC) positions who determine where to send troops and what towns to attack on the front. Campaigns can be anywhere from weeks to months until a victor is decided.

You start as a grunt which only allows the low level equipment to be available to you but as you kill and successfully complete missions (via returning to base) you rank up and soon will have all the goodies accessible to you.

The biggest gripe most people have with the game is the graphics which are most definitely outdated. You won't get UT or DOOM grfx here but you also will never get a loading screen (except spawn in) and you could literally run from one end of France to Western Germany!! Gameplay has always been more important than grfx for me and none of the WWII shooters have come anywhere close to this kind of simulation IMHO.

The game has a steep learning curve, even trying to find a fight can prove difficult, but there is a great community and a built in help channel that always has people on it willing to school the n00bs. As with most MMORPG games there is a lot of acronyms that you will have to learn but most of it is pretty easy and second nature after a few game sessions.

If you want to do anything other than be a foot soldier you are most likely going to want a joystick as tank, planes, AT/AAA Guns and naval ships rely on joystick input. (You can use a mouse/keyboard but it isn't easy)

If you want a Mac squad try mine:

www.armyhelo.com/jaguar

There is often a free trial going on so check it out!!!

20. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

EVE: Online

EVE: Online (only for Windows at the moment) is a great game. Probably the most impressive economy I've found in an MOG. If you like the space/sci-fi setting you'll enjoy EVE.

I keep hoping they port it to OS X. Great game.

21. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

classic :D

22. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

Wow on the PPC mini's sucks. My friend uses his mini for Wow, and it's painful. If I tried to play on there, my eyes would bleed. His is pimped out to 1gig ram too. Not enough power.

23. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

That answer is relative to what you call playable, my ibook in my signature is significantly weaker then the silently upgraded mini and I am happy with the performance. You will have to turn down the video detail a bit though.

24. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

25. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

If you like FPS and haven't already done so, Unreal Tournament 2004 should run reasonably well at lower settings on the Mini.