Finished my latest work

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TrashCanDan, Oct 25, 2005.

1. TrashCanDan macrumors member

So I received my Canon Xl1s a couple months ago and needed a project to become familiar with it. Some friends and I agreed a music video would be a suitable project, so thats what we did. Most of the locations were shot in downtown Phoenix. The influence come from the Beastie Boys music video "Sabatoge" by Spike Jonze. I directed, shot, and edited it. The editing was done in FCP5 with some magic bullet plugins. The song is called "Coup D'Etat" by the band "Refused" who unfortunately broke up in 1998, so this is kind of my tribute to them.

Hope you enjoy.

http://homepage.mac.com/trashcandan128/iMovieTheater8.html

2. silverback66 macrumors regular

Thats nice man. It has good energy to it. Just out of curiosity what made you go with the Xl1s instead of the XL2?

3. TrashCanDan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the comment,

The main reason was budget. I didnt have enougn money for an XL2 new so a used XL1s was the best prosumer cam I could afford at the time. However; I have been thinkin about purchasing a DVX-100a.

4. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

wow man, awsome job, i really dig it. And not to mention that Refused is one of the most amazing bands ever, too bad they broke up years ago, "The shape of punk to come" is one of the most influential albums of all time, it came out in like 97 or 98 and look what happened, it is what punk has come. Refused is amazing....what did you use to edit it? FCP? it looks beautiful man, as a film student at AI i am very impressed

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Very, very cool TrashCanDan! :)
    A job well done! :)

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Impressive!

Hey, what kind of camera mount did you use for the "moving car" shots? Just curious.

7. dcv macrumors G3

That was really cool! How long did it take to film and edit together?

8. TrashCanDan thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate all the replys, yes Refused most definitely ROCKS!

To answer your questions. I used a suction cup based camera mount "Gripper 3025 w/Bogen head" for the car shots. I have to admit, I was paranoid when shooting those scenes but that mount did an amazing job. FCPStudio was used to edit it, using Motion2 and Photoshop CS for the rotoscoping. The project took the better part of 2 months to shoot and edit. Most of the editing was done in between shoots.

9. Zo0LanDeR88 macrumors newbie

10. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

11. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Nice!!! What magic bullet filter did you use?

12. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Pretty funny

The characters reminded me of the Reno 911 guys from comedy central :D

Good job!

Nuc

13. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

is mafia drop off the music video. Guys in a supermarket and car. Because all I see are people talking over music and the cuts dont go to music and no roto or magic bullet at all

14. TrashCanDan thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the confusion man "Mafia Drop-off" is just a prank I edited for some friends. The music video is the link "Refused: Coup D'Etat". It's a mpg4 file rounding 30mb in size.

I used a couple Magic Bullet filters; #86, Basic, Curahee, Bleach Bypass and then tweaked them a bit.

15. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Works well ... !

16. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

17. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Where did you use rotoscoping? Everything in the vid looks pretty seamless!

Great job!

PS: We have a DVX-100A at school and it is quite possibly the best camera I have ever used (most of the time it churns out a better quality image on miniDV than the Betacam SP cameras we use in our studio!). Its nice and lightweight, has a great "feel" to the zoom, and plenty of accessories. I havn't played much with the 24P feature, but from what I've seen, its pretty cool. Only problems I have with it are that it doesn't have a removable lens, even though the internal one is still pretty good and that the color settings are a bit hard to manage (which is fustrating when you are trying to film a short news segment and, right when everything is setup, you notice the camera has this horrible blue tone that wasn't there before).

18. TrashCanDan thread starter macrumors member

Sounds like thumbs up on your side for the DVX. Which is probly the route I'm going to take in the next few months. Thanks man! As for the rotoscoping, there was an obnoxious "Kotton Mouth Kings" sticker on the winshiled of the mustang which did not go with the whole feel of the video so I was forced to rotoscope it out in a couple scenes.

19. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

20. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Nice... I'm not a huge fan of the music though. Just not my cup o tea (not saying they're a crappy band or anything). I liked all of the hard cuts, and the shot of the foot in the puddle slowed down was dope. Good pacing. The close up of the tire in motion was cool, I'd be pretty nervous w/ my brand new camera too, but it payed off, added to the authenticity of the video, as opposed to looking like something thrown together in a drunk afternoon. What's your background in video? I'm assuming that this isn't your first project.