Finished my new app! Please tell me what you think.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iostream.h, Aug 27, 2004.

1. iostream.h macrumors regular

2. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

a bug.

go to import to itunes.

then cancel.

where did the app background window go?

also, app does not play well with Shape Shifter themes (looks bizarre).

it also extracts music to OIExtractor (Ollie's iPod Extractor) rather than a folder with the new name.

i like the UI, nice, clean, simple, straightforward.

3. iostream.h thread starter macrumors regular

go to import to itunes.

then cancel.

where did the app background window go?

Ugg, I know. It seems to be a system glitch rather, nothing I can do about it now.

As for it resulting in OIExtraction, that was from when I was still going to call it Ollie's iPod Extractor. Are you using the newest build from my site?

4. GPado macrumors newbie

Hehe, whoops.

Argh. It doesn't save the files to OIExtraction (unless you ask it to), it merely creates the directory. Forgot to remove that little bit of code when we made the switch from OIE to Broken Helix. Sorry.

Also, what does it look like with the Shapeshifter theme? Could you please provide a screenshot?

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

If i failed to see the difference between your other post - forgive me. I like the basic idea and look.

6. iostream.h thread starter macrumors regular

^^
    The difference with this post is that the app is done and ready for download.

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry, based on what I saw before I do not see any real difference.

There may be subtle differences; but since I last looked at it - I don't se a difference. That is where I was coming from.

8. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

here it is with the SIRO theme by DSKY applied. not a big deal since i can set shapeshifter to just ignore broken helix, but thought u might like to know.

one major bug. you can't quit.

Attached Files:

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Looking at the support I supply at no charge for my better half, the design you just gave hits the mark!

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I like your interface.

Have you seen iPod.iTunes?

How is you app different in function?

BTW, iPod.iTunes has saved my bacon twice!

Sushi

11. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

Hey, how do you change the colour of the window titlebar? You using a custom image as a background or what? NSBorderlessWindow, etc?

Looks really cool, now only if I could choose individual songs to import...

12. thecow macrumors 6502

It looks great but I can't quit if I don't select either of the items. Also, I really like the little spiny gear type thing on your website.

13. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Wow! Great job on the app and the theme. I like the colors to it too.

I had the same problem as thecow did, I cannot quit the program. I click "import to itunes" then cancel, then "import from ipod" then cancel, and then when I try to quit, it won't quit, (from the menu, and hitting Apple + Q)

Keep up the good work, this program will be very useful if my computer crashed and my iPod has the backup of my music :)
    -Paul

14. GPado macrumors newbie

Indeed. The Cocoa framework does not allow you to quit if a sheet is active. I can attempt to override the quit method, but it may end up making things worse. As for changing the titlebar color, it's NSWindow's setBackgroundColor: method.

15. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I tried the application because I had all my music on my Windows computer that I don't use anymore and of course on the iPod.

So, to get the music over to my PowerBook, I downloaded the App, plugged in the iPod, answered No to the associations question, fired opp Broken Helix, chose Extract from iPod, made a new folder, iPodBackup, in my Documents folder and chose this, waited for it to extract, got asked if I wanted to to import to iTunes, answered yes, got asked to choose a folder, I chose the folder iPodBackup that I just extracted to, watched iTunes go bananas and waited

ended up with two copies of every song in iTunes ... why?

16. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Maybe my problem occured because iTunes was set up to automatically copy music added to the library to the iTunes folder.

Anyway, I got duplicates in the iTunes folders, where almost all songs had a duplicate in this manner "songname.mp3" and "songname 1.mp3"

So, I removed all the duplicated from the terminal ... when standing in ~/Music/iTunes

find . -name *\ 1.m4a -exec rm {} \;
    find . -name *\ 1.mp3 -exec rm {} \;

But that didn't remove the tracks from the library and I had to delete all the tracks that now had exclamation marks in iTunes. Any idea how I could've done the last part in simpler manner? I was not able to sort by exlamation marks, so I had to select the tracks one by one.

17. GPado macrumors newbie

Hm. We never ran into the double-copy issue. Maybe it is the iTunes setting. As for being able to quit, Ollie is currently uploading a version of the app that does quit. After 5:30 CST, redownload and you have a quitting version of Broken Helix.