Fink and DarwinPorts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mac Lad, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Mac Lad macrumors member

Hallo,

I just would like to know how your opinion toward Fink and/or DarwinPorts. I actually never use either of them, partially because I'm a beginner to Unix/porting/compiling and all of that stuff. In addition, Terminal kind of scares me to death :D. At the same time, however, there are so many cool open-source apps for Unix/Linux that I would like to utilize in my lovely powerbook. Is it just better to get both Fink and DarwinPorts and try them out? I visited their websites (Fink + DarwinPorts) and I just barely understand what the heck is going on...

someone help me please.... Thanx thanx thanx

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

just jump in and start trying out some Terminal comands is the best thing to do. :) or course, just dont' type random stuff... just google something like "termainl commands" and you should get the basics from that.

here's a good article talking about both DarwinPorts and Fink, and it also has easy to follow instructions for installing both.
    http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3076

i've got both DP & Fink installed, since there's some packages that you can only get on DP or Fink, but not both.

hope that helps you out.

3. belf8st macrumors member

You can also check out Fink Commander

http://finkcommander.sourceforge.net/

It's a nice gui interface for fink. You might want to get familiar with Debian's apt . Just google for it. There's a ton of good documentation out there with regards to Debian's tool.

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Download the full fink package with FinkCommander.
    FinkCommander is a graphical UI that is very easy to use, darwin ports is a bit harder to use..

5. Mac Lad thread starter macrumors member

Thanx for the replies! That O'Reilly article was particularly very helpful. So...I'm definitely gonna try out Fink and FinkCommander. I noticed that some people in the forum prefer DarwinPorts and bash on Fink for some reason that I am not aware of. I guess I'll find out....

Ciao!