Finnaly got an Xbox + Halo 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by pgc6000, Dec 26, 2004.

1. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

On Christmas day I got an Xbox and Halo 2, and I must say I am rather pleased with the Xbox it's self. It's a very nice system, though it could be a bit more portable, but that's where gameboys and PSPs come in, right? Halo 2 is also nice, though maybe not as good as the orginal. Of course this is just about the single player campaign. Once I get Xbox Live up and going, I'll be playing Halo 2 online. I also got a few other games, including KOTOR, but I am yet to play any other game then Halo 2. Anybody else have Halo 2 and/or an Xbox? Or anything else for the Xbox? (I know a lot of you do) Thoughts and comments?

2. greenleaf macrumors member

you sound like me...i got an xbox and halo2 dec 17 for my birthday and also Kotor 2 ive been playing halo on live and its probably the most fun ive ever had playing avideo game its so sweet :D

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I used to play my xbox every day, and I got pretty addicted. I'm easily influenced by video games, though, because I used to get addicted to PC games and what not. Halo 2 is a great game, though I think it was very overhyped for what it is. Counter-Strike for the xbox is another great game, though it is becoming less and less popular with new xbox live games gaining players.

Congrats on the gift, and I hope you enjoy it!!!

4. haiggy macrumors 65816

Heh, I just got an XBox for Christmas and JUST got home from buying Halo 2. Can't wait to play - wtf am I doing on MR? :p

5. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

my bro got xbox and halo 2 for christmas. we hooked it up online. its awesome. i don't think ill ever be bored again. there are always people on so you can always play. i think the online mode makes halo2 better than the original. its very well done and lots of fun

6. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Yea I got Halo 2. Also picked up Dead or Alive Ultimate and Mortal Kombat: Deception. Still need to pick up Dance Dance Rev Ultramix 2. Thats my first round of games to get into.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Halo 2 is pretty fun, I'd say it's better than the original, but still overrated for what it is. I've only played it a few times though, and just the multiplayer with my friends.

I don't play console games anymore though, not like I used to at least - I only own a PS2 and that was my favorite system of the bunch. I used to game on my PC as well, but just haven't had time for it the last while - I'm finding that I have too many other varied interests and better, more productive things to do rather than play games. But, it's always a good release and a good break. :) I can't comprehend these people who live online though and spend hours a day in a fantasy world - that can't be good for personal development when it comes to the real world, but hey, that's a discussion for another thread I suppose. ;)

8. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Yeah, Halo 2 is overhyped. It's not everything I exactly expected. The story line is a mess. Too confusing. But it's still one of the years best games, by far.

9. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

hey

If any of you guys want someone to play with online in Halo 2, my screen name is BiLLum , just add it to your friends list. It will tell you when I am online, which is quite a bit of time now since we are on christmas break until jan. 17. Hope to you see you guys online! :)

10. greenleaf macrumors member

halo 2's single player isnt that great but multi player is awesome :Dalso you said you got kotor?1 or 2?ive played both and they are awesome...great story line and i would encourage everyone to buy it

11. greenleaf macrumors member

ill probably see ya on there then...mine is ultichill :D

12. haiggy macrumors 65816

I also have Dance Dance Rev Ultramix 2. It's pretty fun... and I would imagine so especially after a bit of alcohol.

13. Uuugggg macrumors newbie

Allright, so long as you people are living with the evil Xbox, at the very least get this. It lets you connect a mouse/keyboard to the box... which nullifies all my plausible arguments against it. Arrrr.

14. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

if you have a surround sound system buy the advanced av pack and a fiber optic cable. Hook it all up and make sure everything is nice in the settings and than turn that sucker up. :D

15. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I got XBOX, live and Halo2 also but can't wait for Mech Assault2 or Half-Life2 to get here. Won't forget Doom3 comining soon either. :D
    At first it was tough to connect the XBOX for Live but got it up and running tonight to play some Halo2 Live-- Very cool!
    Now if I could only get that 42" TV to play games on :rolleyes:

16. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

if only I could

We have both a HD widescreen tv and a Bose soundsystem in the living room. If my dad would let me connect the XBox to that system, I would definitely get the advanced AV pack , it would be crazy to play in there. I just have to settle for our second tv room,which has a 25 inch, flat screen and a regular surround sound system :).

17. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

When i first got xbox live i bought a copy of Rainbow Six 3 with it......One of the biggest mistakes of my life. I spent Hundreds of hours in front of that game playing on xbox live. It was my entire life for about 6 months. WAAYY too addicting. Then Halo 2 comes around a year later... I'm suprised i am not as addicted to it as i was rainbow. It is fun, but it it's only fun when you play with friends. If you want to play a few games on live my GT is Commando44.

18. ldkaplan macrumors regular

ldkaplan

I used to say the same to my brother who is a complete xbox junkie. But it turns out that he's made some really good friends online. He came to visit me in Atlanta and put out a message on one of the forums he frequents and hooked up with some of them. He also had a lan party when Halo2 came out and several people flew in.

But to keep the thread on track, I've spent several hours online with him playing Halo2. We have also been playing Ghost Recon 2. I got live when Rainbox 6 III came out and they just released an update for the expansion. If you want to dig back to your Apple roots, Bards Tale is available, but it's nothing like the original.

Oh yeah, my game tag is 'balagan'

19. fuzzai macrumors member

didn't have a chance to read everyones post in here, but id just like to say halo 2 was great when i had it when it first came out..

If you like gun games, but wouldl ike strategy with your game, and not just run and kill. get Ghost Recon2 , IT IS INTENSE!! i love it, it all i really play

rent it and try it out.
    btw you on XboxLive?

20. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Clearly I am missing out on some good online Xbox play. I need to get Xbox Live set up today (I am almost done with Halo 2, and I want to play it online)

I have some spare money. i'm debating over whether I should get Ghost Recon 2, Rise of Nations, or CoD: UO. What do you guys think?

21. ldkaplan macrumors regular

ldkaplan

A guy at work calls CoD 'Call of Doody'. Can't find too many people that really like it. I like Ghost Recon 2, it's very challenging. Mech Assault 2 comes out tomorrow and that will be awesome. The original MA was a release title for Xbox Live.

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Halo 2 can be summed up with two statements:

Excellent game

Overhyped

I haven't played online, but I enjoyed single player mode, it's a visual delight. Biggest complaint: I can't hear the little plot bits Cortana recites because she's always talking when there is firing of weapons going on.

The only online game I ever play much is Socom 2, and after seeing how long it took me to get really good at it (lol pwned n00b etc.) I'm unwilling to do it all over again with another game, real life demands attention.

23. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

I have to admit Microsoft won this one. Everyone I know including myself bought Halo 2. Too bad the game sucks. They made minor improvements, basic upgrades, and added online play.

They took the element of skill out of it, now people who used to suck can be good just because they can use dual weapons. They removed the health meter, and took away damage from falling, why would they do that? To make the playing field more even. If people are going to play on xbox live they don't want some people to be so amazing others don't want to play. Let the MS money machine keep raking it in.

Halo isn't a good game, it was a well marketed sequel that fell very short of what it was trying to accomplish.

Too bad everyone in the world bought it.

24. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

if that HD screen is a projection or plasma and not and LCD than your dad is making a good choice. You see the image will be burnt into the tv screen if you play video games on those nice tv's. So its not really worth it.

you say you still have a surround sound system. I have a $100 RCA surround sound system and it rocks with xbox. Why not get the Advanced av pack... it deffinitly worth it. (For HDTV's you would need the Advanced HD pack)

Have fun with your new box :)