Fire at my Uni

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dodonutter, Oct 30, 2005.

1. dodonutter macrumors regular

There was a big fire today at the electronics and computer science building at my (Southampton) Uni (UK). The building had a chip fab plant in it which im guessing has made its last chip...not much of it left. Doesn't effect (or is it affect?) me cos i do engineering but a whole load of peoples PHDs just went up in smoke :(

heres the BBC news article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/1/hi/england/hampshire/4390048.stm

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That looks like quite a fire. Hopefully it was accidental as thought. The good thing is that they were able to evacuate. Did you loose anything in the fire?

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm doing a PhD right now and.......wow.

Maybe those students can get an honourary PhD from the Southampton "School of the Hard Knocks."

4. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Scary photos ... thankfully, no fatalities or injuries reported.

5. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I meant to ask if you knew what some of the world's most advanced research that was being conducted there dealt with?

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Thats going to seriously mess with some peoples studies...

We had a fire last semester, it destroyed a building that housed some of our most advanced research..... The gents toilets...:D

Still, we got some brand spanking new ones for the new year, plenty of room on the walls to write dirty limericks.:cool:

7. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

There once was a man named Rick
    Who was rumored to have a big stick

Oh never mind. :)

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That sucks. We had a flood at our uni last semester. It took down the entire campus for a day or two and the library and the psychology department for about a month. Hopefully the clean up won't take long for you guys. :)

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I live just opoosite from the uni. I got up yesterday morning and went to the kitchen. My flat is on the 3rd floor, and I could see this huge grey cloud rising up behind the trees, I wander down there and the police told me to "stay in your home with the doors and windows closed"!!

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It rained? What part of Australia do you live at? :p

11. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

This is an even bigger deal than some people's PhDs (though having PhD data-loss is indeed horrendous, I speak from bitter experience). If it's the building that I think it is it also contains OMII (Open Middleware Infrastructure Institute). In my research we have several areas of research involving them.

All their servers are down suggessting it is the same building.

Shame. I hope all the computing facilities had off site backups.

12. dodonutter thread starter macrumors regular

You live in halls?? I lived in hartley grove last year, now i live the other side of the uni so we didn't get any smoke but it was pretty obvious there was a fire. looked like the entire uni was burning down. Apparently its lectures as normal but my housemate couldn't go to a lecture because of smoke damage to a near by building.

I didn't lose anything personally but im sure there was a lot of stuff that was. Building had offices in it as well so hopefully people were religious with their backups but the chances of every1 having all their work backed up is pretty small.

Probably a good thing it happened on a sunday...meant there weren't many people in it

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nope. :p

Some workmen are refurbishing part of the uni and one of them put a pole stamper straight through the main water supply to the uni. This was at the top of the uni.

On the plus side, we got our own waterfall for three days. :)

14. dodonutter thread starter macrumors regular

Bet that guy was popular! Wonder if he kept his job...

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It was a pretty warm week and it was just before our two week break so nobody minded frolicking in the new found water feature for a while. :D

Ah, the memories... Those poor girls in white tops...

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I feel sorry for those girls.

*puts the binoculars down for a sec*

And I must say that while I do back up my PB from time to time (I never use the 3.6GHz Dell I have in my office at Uni.......I bring the 1GHz 12" PB, baby! :p ), I must say that I keep my portable HD in the same room as my PowerBook, and while I'm covered in case of my PB going down, or destroyed, lost, or stolen, I didn't cover my ass for situations where something happens in that room, like a fire or flood or something. Or what if someone steals my PB from my room at halls, and decides to take the external HDD as well?

Paranoia......dun dun DUN!