Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I miss my guns. :(

They are all safely stored back in the states in a gun vault. Sorry, but I don't have any pics handy to post.

One of my favorites to fire is a simple semi-auto 22 L.R. cal rifle. Can shoot all day on pennies! :)

Fun looking at everyone else's collection. :D

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
One of my favorites to fire is a simple semi-auto 22 L.R. cal rifle. Can shoot all day on pennies! :)

I envy you that luxury. Commercial ammo for all of my rifles usually runs over a dollar per round. Surplus is much cheaper, though prices are rising...

I shouldn't complain too much, the .50BMG shooters have it worse.

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
I know a lot of people think Glocks are ugly, but I think they are nice and simple looking in a good way. Pure reliability and function are their main assets however.

pointandclick

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
It cost about 1€ per gr of weight... Don't worry: I think that is not exported... :p
In Italy 9x21 is very common. 9x19 is considered military ammonition, an therefore forbidden by law... :rolleyes:

Ciao :)

Well that stinks:mad: Why should it matter if it's a military round? It's guna hurt either way lol.
I was going to get a PA63 in 9x19. The real Makarovs are too expensive for my college budget.:rolleyes:

pointandclick, nice collection, and I really like the little rack that you made for your guns!
Thank you.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It cost about 1€ per gr of weight... Don't worry: I think that is not exported... :p

Ouch! Pretty pricey, but then about what I'd expect for a higher end match grade .45ACP pistol.

In Italy 9x21 is very common. 9x19 is considered military ammonition, an therefore forbidden by law... :rolleyes:

I've heard about 9x19 being illegal, but wasn't sure if Italian shooters had adopted the 9x21 in large numbers. Performance is supposed to be pretty much identical to 9x19 anyway.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I envy you that luxury. Commercial ammo for all of my rifles usually runs over a dollar per round. Surplus is much cheaper, though prices are rising...
I hear ya. Some of my rounds are expensive as well.

I use to fire silver tipped 9mm with my Browning BDA 380, with Pacmar grips. Love the spread on those rounds. However, most of the time I used regular ball ammo. Either way, the rounds weren't cheap.

I shouldn't complain too much, the .50BMG shooters have it worse.
Makes me appreciate all the rounds I fired on active duty. :D

I know a lot of people think Glocks are ugly, but I think they are nice and simple looking in a good way. Pure reliability and function are their main assets however.
I love Glocks -- well most models.

Below is still one of my favorite pistols.

Attachments

• M1911.jpg
    M1911.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 4,961

MircoT

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
Venice, Italy.
I've heard about 9x19 being illegal, but wasn't sure if Italian shooters had adopted the 9x21 in large numbers. Performance is supposed to be pretty much identical to 9x19 anyway.

Performance are substantially identical.
9x21 was created only because 9x19 was declared military ammunition... a mode to go around the law... :D
9x21 is the most used caliber in Italy, I think...
BTW the use of 45ACP increases day by day. 45ACP probably is the best compromise for stopping power and ease of handling in defence situation: low reaction and low wall-bounces... I need a Glock 21 or a SigSauer P220 :D

ciao :)

pointandclick

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
I hear ya. Some of my rounds are expensive as well.

I use to fire silver tipped 9mm with my Browning BDA 380, with Pacmar grips. Love the spread on those rounds. However, most of the time I used regular ball ammo. Either way, the rounds weren't cheap.

Makes me appreciate all the rounds I fired on active duty. :D

I love Glocks -- well most models.

They're all expensive any more. Last summer I could've got 440 rounds of surplus ammo for my Mosin for $45. Now it's 80.

My uncle collects all kinds of guns, I don't even know how many he has, but he said a couple years ago you could get 1000 rounds 7.62x39 for about $60. When I got my SKS not quite a year ago I speced it at $130 for the cheapest. Now I think your lucky to get it at $170.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Does no one like Browning's anymore??
Did you read my post above? :)

I have a BDA 380 with Pacmar grips that I really like.

Web pic below (without the Pacmar grips).

They're all expensive any more. Last summer I could've got 440 rounds of surplus ammo for my Mosin for $45. Now it's 80.

My uncle collects all kinds of guns, I don't even know how many he has, but he said a couple years ago you could get 1000 rounds 7.62x39 for about $60. When I got my SKS not quite a year ago I speced it at $130 for the cheapest. Now I think your lucky to get it at $170.
I enjoy firing weapons that use 5.56, 7.63, 45, and 9mm rounds. These rounds are expensive for sure.

It's been a while since I purchased ammo. I try to purchase in bulk to save some funds.

I have some friends who reload, and that helps on cost as well. Although it is time consuming.

Cost is one reason why I like the 22 LR round. Can shoot all day without spending an arm and a leg. :)

Attachments

• browning_bda380_2.jpg
    browning_bda380_2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 233

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off

A couple years ago I bought 250 rounds of linked 7.92x57mm for my Mausers. It is the good 1970s Yugoslavian surplus...back then it was about $40. It's much mroe than that now. Last year I bought a 900 round case of 7.62x54R and that was $75...right now the same stuff seems to be going for $6 for 10 rounds...

MircoT said:
BTW the use of 45ACP increases day by day. 45ACP probably is the best compromise for stopping power and ease of handling in defence situation: low reaction and low wall-bounces... I need a Glock 21 or a SigSauer P220

Yeah, the lower penetration of .45ACP has kept it popular compared to other calibers with superior ballistics, especially when the anticipated engagement range is short (indoors, for example).

Sushi said:

My first handgun may be a Springfield Armory 1911. A nice example of a 1911 for a pretty low price.

pointandclick

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Did you read my post above? :)

I have a BDA 380 with Pacmar grips that I really like.

Web pic below (without the Pacmar grips).

I enjoy firing weapons that use 5.56, 7.63, 45, and 9mm rounds. These rounds are expensive for sure.

It's been a while since I purchased ammo. I try to purchase in bulk to save some funds.

I have some friends who reload, and that helps on cost as well. Although it is time consuming.

Cost is one reason why I like the 22 LR round. Can shoot all day without spending an arm and a leg. :)

Ya, I decided to get a German .22LR pistol that instead of the PA63. Cheaper to shoot. I had never heard of the company but I guess they were pretty good. For some reason it didn't work out anyway so...

MircoT

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
Venice, Italy.

Yeah, the lower penetration of .45ACP has kept it popular compared to other calibers with superior ballistics, especially when the anticipated engagement range is short (indoors, for example)....

... and the consequent high energy transfer (or high idrodynamic shock) do the superior stopping power... I think that this is the most important factor in home defence... :)

Ciao. :)

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008
I can't believe I missed this thread!

SANY0857-1.jpg

hkp2000sk.jpg

hkp30.jpg

I have a bunch more, but these were the pictures readily available, I'll post more later.

-Andrew

naftalim

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I don't understand why someone would want to have these things. I speak as someone who was an expert in weapons courtesy of the IDF. Having been in combat, I don't mind if I never see guns again.

I'm not anti-gun, there are plenty of crazies out there, and I mean terrorists not criminals, but with a tripod and a scope? A bit much.

I can't believe I missed this thread!

SANY0857-1.jpg

hkp2000sk.jpg

hkp30.jpg

I have a bunch more, but these were the pictures readily available, I'll post more later.

-Andrew

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008
I don't understand why someone would want to have these things. I speak as someone who was an expert in weapons courtesy of the IDF. Having been in combat, I don't mind if I never see guns again.

I'm not anti-gun, there are plenty of crazies out there, and I mean terrorists not criminals, but with a tripod and a scope? A bit much.

Your post is full of ignorance, apparently you've never heard of long range target shooting or this nifty thing called hunting.

- snip -

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
I would appreciate it if anyone who has posted anything remotely anti-gun, would edit their post and please let this thread continue without any negative or politically related comments.

And nice AR Andrew Henry. Magpul ftw!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.