Firefox 1.0.4 availible for download.......

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rocky3478, May 12, 2005.

1. Rocky3478 macrumors regular

I hope there hasn't been a thread on this yet. I couldn't find one, but you never know......

Anyway, yesterday Mozilla came out w/ Firefox 1.0.4. Looks like it fixed some (if not all) of the security issues discovered recently.....

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I'm curious as to why their updates don't appear when I check for updates under the Firefox preferences? I don't think I've had an update appear this way, and have only found them on a MacRumors thread.

4. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

probably hasn't been updated yet on that part of the server. they've had load problems when updates come out... mostly due to the fact that they can't do incremental updates.. only full blown installers for each update right now.. 1.1 will fix that. imagine millions of users hitting their ftp server at the same time to download a 6 meg file.. ouch.

5. Rocky3478 thread starter macrumors regular

I actually discovered the update through Firefox update. I'm running XP Home, not a Mac OS (yet) but I don't think that should be different on a Mac......

6. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

How is everyone's Firefox performance? Mine has been not so good (specs below). Particularly when I scroll a window w/ lots of graphics I can get a pause and the beachball.

Tried Safari last night for the first time in a year. Same page, no problems. Safari is FAST!

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Safari 2 *is* mad fast, but your performance may be due to the plugins you have installed. I had TBE installed and it was killing FF. Without TBE, FF is blissfully faster.

iSaint, I think it's a known issue that for some reason, updates of FF itself do not appear in anyone's Mac install of FF when it checks for updates. I'm not sure why, but I'm pretty sure I saw this confirmed in Moz's knowledge base. If I can find it, I'll link ya.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Firefox 1.0.4 is running nicely here.

The DHTML fix allows me to actually view the Olympus camera website correctly with its mix of DHTML and flash animations.

9. Mac-Xpert macrumors 6502

It won't run

Somehow it doesn't seem to want to run on my G5 (OS-X 10.3.9). When I launch it, it just sits there and does nothing, the menu bar shows "firefox" but the window never comes up.

I have no troubles with any of the other browsers on my system. Java also seems to be running correctly.

I'm not sure what's going on. :confused: