Firefox 1.0 PR Released

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wes, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I just saw this today, didn't see a thread on it here so here are the features according to mozilla.org:

* Improved pop-up blocker: new pop-up blocker blocks even more pop-ups while making it easy to view pop-ups when necessary.
    * Security improvements: the new release provides additional protection to users against spoofing attacks, the practice of tricking users into believing they are on a trusted site when they are not. When a user visits a secure site, Firefox now highlights the web site address and clearly displays the name of the web site. Firefox also includes a number of other security improvements and fixes, several of which were identified as part of the Mozilla Foundation's new Security Bug Bounty Program.
    * Live Bookmarks, which help users discover a new dimension to the web by allowing them to create bookmarks that display dynamically updated content such as news headlines. Live Bookmarks let users view RSS feeds, a technology that web content providers use to easily create and disseminate news headlines and summaries. RSS feeds are offered by thousands of sites, including Yahoo News, BBC.co.uk, CNET News.com and most weblogs.
    * Plugin finder service: Firefox now includes a plugin finder service that makes it a breeze to install plugins, starting with the Macromedia Flash Player for Windows. Additional plugins will be added in the coming weeks.
    * Improved searching within web pages: Firefox now highlights search terms when the user is looking for keywords within a page.

http://spreadfirefox.com/

I've had it for 10 minutes and I've dropped Safari in favour of this. My Safari has been having major issues so I just dropped it, exported my bookmarks and I'm loving Firefox!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I installed this on Windows a few days back, just as good as ever. I hadn't updated my OS X install, but seeing this thread has just reminded me to do it!

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This is actually really nice. I'd encourage anyone to try it. I've just moved all my bookmarks across as well and had the tidy up I've been meaning to do for sometime - I bookmark so much crap! :eek:

edit: ok, I'm loving this. It feels much faster than safari, and is without doubt much better/faster at loading image heavy pages for example. The only thing I miss is the built in spell checker in safari :(

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

for some reason i want to use Firefox, but never do, i still use Safari, i really dont see any difference between the two, except that Safari starts up faster, oh well its not a big deal

5. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

My main quirk with Safari is the fact it no longer works with my Yahoo mail account. I've removed it, deleted all the cache cookies etc. and I still can't log in and my menus now have a lot of 'Local string not found' so I have to guess what I'm clicking on. So Firefox was faster and more reliable.

6. winwintoo macrumors 6502

....and if you struggle with CSS like I do, install the Web Developer Extension and you can view/edit your CSS right on the fly as well as do some other neat web site inspection things live.

Cool app!

m

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I was gonna give it a go, but they don't have a release for FireFox 1.0, currently still back at 0.8 :(

8. kant macrumors 6502

I upgraded my winxp pc the other day and won't upgrade any others quite yet: the upgrade broke the Super DragAndGo and TabBrowser extensions. :rolleyes:

9. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Well, it may be behind a bit, but it installs and works for me. I imagine they'll catch up, a lot of folks are using it.

M

10. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

From my experience Firefox blows

I decided to download firefox after reading this thread. AFter downloading and installing, all Firefox does is open and close in my Dock... I can't even force a quit and have had to restart my computer twice. What gives????

11. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Been working fine on WinXP Pro SP2 for a week. Didn't even install FireFox on Panther.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Firefox works fine for me on Panther, esp. with the Java plug-in fix. I switched back from using Camino.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

14. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

i have been using firefox for a while, but mostly on my Dell. What has kept me from switching from Safari to Firefox on my mac is that the pithhelmet adblocking is so much better than the Adblocking in Firefox. For some reason it just works a lot better than the Firefox plug in. Too, bad, because I really like the live bookmarklets, but the adds drive me insane!