FireFox 1.5.0.1 for the Mac is out

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VanNess, Feb 2, 2006.

1. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Promises improvements for the Mac platform, but I haven't noticed anything significantly different from 1.5. Scrolling might be a tad smoother than before, but that could be my imagination.

Available via FireFox's built-in update feature or by tried and true direct download.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Firefox stumbled a bit when it tried to download and apply the partial update but it recovered decently by downloading a full update and applying it. Either way, much nicer than using 1.0.x or older.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The updater worked fine for me... :)

But the update disabled SpellBound... :(

Just a warning: My posts gonna contain more than usual spelling errors until they update SpellBound... ;)

And it does feel a bit, dare I say it, snappier... :D

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

dear or dare? :D SpellBound wouldn't get you out of that.

Firefox does feel snappier, as if fixing all those little memory leaks made things work properly. I think plug-in support is much better now. It doesn't seem to get stuck as often. Now, if Macromedia would fix their plug-ins, we'd be set.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

D*mn, English is hard when I don't think... :p

Firefox got extremely stuck earlier today when I used a live support function to a web hotel. I think they have a bad combination of Java, JavaScript and/or Flash, but luckily Shiira came through, and I could get my answers... Firefox needed a Force Quit to shut down after that... but that's the only problem I've had so far...

Looks like it still makes lots of "backups" of the bookmarks file, though... That's highly annoying... :mad:

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The bookmarks handling has been a huge problem since the early days of the Mozilla browser and they started using JavaScript to manage them. I had a situation where my 28 KB bookmarks file ballooned to 16 MB. When I had started the Mozilla browser, it looked stuck. One time, I was distracted and returned to find the browser had actually started but had duplicate bookmarks. They've gone back and forth with it but I think they're always going to have trouble.