Firefox released for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AnthonyKinyon, Aug 2, 2006.

1. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

Apr 4, 2006
    [link removed]

Mozilla has just released Firefox for Mac
  2. LoveMacMini macrumors regular

Jul 30, 2006
    Some release notes, or a link to the changelog, don't just link to DMG's ;)
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    The product site is still showing as current.
  4. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 4, 2006
    The release notes, etc. are not posted yet so I can't link to them, can I? :)

( )

They always update the FTP site before the website (http). I can confirm this is the final release of, however. is also listing the final for Windows (Mozilla always releases Mac/Windows/Linux versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, etc. on the same day).

The Mac Majorgeeks site doesn't list Firefox yet but it hasn't been updated today (the site). I have submitted it to them.
  5. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 4, 2006
    Different Mozilla browsers and what's different

Camino is smaller, faster and lighter than Firefox, but does not support the extensions/plug-ins etc. (some plug-ins do work such as Adobe/PDF, Flash, Flip4Mac, etc.) Camino is exclusively a Mac OS X browser.

Firefox is the main browser for *all* platforms (Mac Linux Windows). Basically the same on each.

SeaMonkey is the new life breathed into the old Mozilla suite that was discontinued. It supports all 3 platforms. It includes email, chat, browser, etc. whereas Firefox is ONLY a browser (complimented separately/optionally by Thunderbird, the e-mail program).

Mozilla the brower is discontinued (but is now SeaMonkey, see above).
  6. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    i'm at work now (read: windows pc) and i clicked "check for updates" and it didn't do anything. plus, the browser usually downloads the udpates and then asks you to close and re-open the browswer to install.

they just released - why are they releasing another update so soon?
  7. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2004
    Houston, TX..... (keep walking)

looks fishy to me
  8. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 4, 2006
    Why does it look fishy when the links provided go directly to Mozilla's website and FTP site? Please explain why you distrust the Mozilla foundation?

There is no official word yet as to what's new but I would guess bug fix or security update. Almost has to be one of those. Plus, this is only a upgrade, so it can't be a HUGE change. :) Might be an important security fix though. Ask Mozilla. :)

9. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 4, 2006
    Firefox site officially shows now

By the way.. the official Firefox website now shows - I guess maybe next time you will trust me now that you have seen I'm reliable. :)

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Maybe not.
  11. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    Well, the link doesn't go directly to Mozilla's website. It stops by "" on the way there (before being redirected). That's probably why they thought it looked fishy. Was there a reason for not just using the actual link URL?
  12. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 4, 2006
    Fair enough point. Go to and check it out. All it does is provides a short link (URL) for a long web or FTP address. It's fast, free and works good (ad free, etc. - no pop ups or spyware etc) been using it for years.

I also linked to Mozilla's FTP site and website. Fred Langa ( often uses Tiny URL as do many others... its safe.

Mozilla's official Firefox page now lists the version officially.. proving I didn't lie.

Not my loss but that's OK. I don't mean to sound snide or anything but I promise I'm not doing anything nefarious here.. just trying to be helpful to you guys. Sorry if you thought otherwise my friend.
  13. theman5725 macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2006
    I'm new to mac and im just wondering how firefox compares to safari. I always used firefox on my pc but ive been using safari since i got my macbook and have been fine with it. i hear from some people firefox is faster, but from other people i hear safari is faster.
  14. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 4, 2006
    I like them both, but I also have Opera, Firefox, Safari, Camino, SeaMonkey. I primarly only use Safari on the Mac. On Windows I almost exclusively use Firefox (except certain *gasp* IE things I have to do at work and yes I hate IE lol ).

I prefer Safari to Firefox on Mac but Firefox is more extensible and is multiplatform.

Safari is a great browser IMO (in my opinion). Fast, light and secure.

Firefox is relatively secure (more than IE!) and can use themes and extensions for all sorts of cool things! :)

If you haven't already, I suggest enabling tabbed browsing in Safari. :) Its in the preferences.

"Firefox is a stability update that is part of our ongoing program to provide a safe Internet experience for our customers. We recommend that all users upgrade to this latest version.

Fixed an issue with playing Windows Media content
    Release Date: August 2, 2006"
  15. theman5725 macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2006
    i use tabbed browsing in safari all the time. it owns:cool:

what about camino? ive heard some good stuff about that. what makes it different then firefox?
  16. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 4, 2006

Cool, cool.

Camino is lighter/smaller than Firefox but doesn't support extensions, etc. - it is also updated less frequently, but designed exclusively for Mac.

It's a good product. Free add-on here for it that adds more options and features.
  17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Today is the first time I've seen you. Suddenly, you're posting a dubious URL and urging everyone to go there to download an update to a product that follows another update not two weeks old. You didn't provide any release notes, either.

What doesn't sound odd about this?

You can say that TinyURL is safe, but you can put anything in that link, right? Someone might even provide a link to a problem, if they were nefarious.
  18. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Exactly. provides a great service for those who need it. They're above-board and free. On the other hand, the fact that the link is not "realized" until you click through the tinyurl one makes it potentially dangerous.
  19. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 4, 2006
    The point about TinyURL has been made like 3 times already - yes I understand it could point to anything - OTOH (on the other hand) - Macs are pretty much invulnerable against almost anything (virsues, worms, etc.) so what's the big deal?

Secondly, I haven't just started posting today. You may have only seen me today for the first time, but if you were to look back you would see I've been posting for months off and on. (Not a lot of posts, but a few here and there).

Some vendors frequently release point updates right after products are released to fix last minute bugs, etc. - this is NOT uncommon.

Example: Opera 9.0 just recently came out. 9.01 is out. Firefox just came out - is out. Same with SeaMonkey 1.0.3 to 1.0.4 - it happens constantly or at least relatively often. It isn't that unusual.

Third, I also provided links to the products homepages and/or the MOZILLA FTP SITE the files were available on publicly in the "releases" folders. Fourth, other download sites were listing these releases by the time I posted them on forums - it wasn't just me saying they were out there. I was just trying to be helpful to others as a couresy. You seem awfully ungrateful and suspicious over nothing. I realize you don't know me and have no reason to trust me, but OTOH I have better things to do than waste time trying to cause you grief. Also, I assume my IP would be logged and timestamped each time I post on this forum so unless I were at a public place, it could be traced back to me fairly easily and thus I'd be entangled legally in some nonsense. Like I want that.

I don't believe I ever "urged everyone to download" anything, let alone *anyone* - I put it out there and let THEM CHOOSE if they wanted it. Stop twisting my words and putting them in my mouth and attributing actions to me that I didn't do or say please.

I don't wish to get into a big stupid argument with you over this since it's not worth the time/energy - but one question nagging at me is - please show me where I *EVER* "urged everyone to download" anything? I put links and announced the products were available and answered in a friendly way some questions asked, etc. - that was it. I don't think I ever demanded/urged/coerced, etc. anyone to do anything. If you bothered to actually *read* my posts, you'd see that I have mentioned several times on these forums that I'm all for and about user choice - do what *you* want - it's going to affect *you* so make the choice *you* feel best about.

Now, having said that. No hard feelings, etc. I don't wish to have a flame war, etc. but you should lighten up a little. The release notes thing - in closing - were not yet posted on Mozilla's site when I announced the products were available. I stated this in my postings when someone asked. Later, when they *were* posted, I came back and posted them along with links to them (non tiny URL) on Mozilla's site...

So please share with us how anything I did was nefarious/evil/cruel/forceful, etc? After that, let's let this nonsense drop please.

This point was made earlier and is well taken. Thank you for confirming though, that Tiny URL is "above the board" I do appreciate that.

I meant nothing bad here, I don't know why certain people feel compelled to twist words and construe things... I was just trying to be nice, geez.
  20. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Okay, time to call a time out.

The original poster meant no harm in using is a very handy site that I've used many times myself. But it can be used to mask the true link you're posting, which is why I only trust it when I receive the links from people I know.

AnthonyKinyon, there is a legitimate threat. The Leap/A (Oompa-Loompa) "virus" was deployed here at MacRumors through a link, so people are nervous about clicking links that could lead to something other than familiar website, as they should be. And not everybody here is on Macs, so there are people who are vulnerable to spyware, etc.

Let's just drop it and move on.
  21. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 4, 2006
    Thank you for stepping in. The last thing I wanted to do was create controversy etc. I appreciate your statesmanship and kindness here. (and calm mind)

I didn't know of the virus deployed here previously - and I did state I would stay away from TinyURL links on here already, which is why I was somewhat surprised that someone would make a big deal out of it.

In any case, you are right, let's move on and drop this. Thanks for your kind words again. I'll keep cool and not dwell on this and I hope that's what we all do. :) We all (well most of us) love Macs right so let's enjoy them!