Firefox 1.5 - Buggy?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yojitani, Dec 14, 2005.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I've been using FF 1.5 since it was announced and for the most part it's been pretty good. I like the little add-ons and hacks you can do - they really save a lot of time. BUT as with FF 1, after a while FF partially stops responding. For example, just now, I could enter in webpages but when I hit 'return' or even go, the browser wouldn't budge. Other things like tabs suddenly freezing or becoming unresponsive are also pretty irritating. Is anyone else having similar problems? I love FF functionality, but am tired of the freezes.

YOJ
    (accidentally posted this first in the hardware section. sorry!):eek:

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Its for that exact reason i don't use firefox, i find it sluggish once you add a few extensions, the best browser on mac is camino give it a go....

Shadow

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

No, I don't often have Firefox locking up. I have two non-Mozilla extensions, Adblock and Fasterfox. I've had trouble with the Windows Media Player and Shockwave Flash plug-ins at times but not with the two FireFox extensions.

I would suggest trying them one at a time to see what's causing the problem. Firefox version 1.5 is very stable for me and I'm usually one to whine about how unstable applications and Mac OS X are.

Also, themes are likely to cause problems, so use the default theme while testing to more quickly narrow down the issue.

4. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Flashblock is the best extension for me. Replaces flash objects with a button you can click on if you want to run flash.

Totally transformed Firefox for me. It's amazing how a couple of flash objects in a couple of tabs will slow this 1.5 GHZ PB to a crawl. Now I regularly have 20-30 tabs open and no problem.

Also blocks the most annoying ads as they're flash based so I have no need to run Adblock now:)

..RedTomato..

5. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

I dont use Firefox on the Mac as I am very happy with Safari and I am not one of these people who has 3 different programs cluttering up their hard disc to do the same thing.

However I tried Firefox on the PC and version 1.0 especially with its plugins was a very unstable piece of software. And worse than just crashing was causing memory leaks:mad: . When back to Internet Explorer:eek:

Trying 1.5 and I am really not sure if its much better.

Really dont know why all these Geeks rav about it:eek:

6. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I use firefox 1.5 as my primary browser on my home ibook and on my work PC. I have not had any trouble with slowdowns or freezes on either; the only trouble I have had is embedded video, particularly with windows media; I suspect that MS is shuffling the deck from time to time to force IE use. I have an "Open This Page in IE" plugin on the PC for when such problems occur. I wish there were a similar "Open this Page in Safari" plugin for macs. The adblock extension is the best invention since the dawn of the popup blocker; I can't stand to surf without it. Anyway, I have not had any buggy trouble with 1.5, not since it was in early beta anyway.

7. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I use firefox 1.5 and it has been pretty stable for me.

The only reason that keeps me getting back to safari is the big startup times, and the bugged download manager, that displays the wrong information.

8. Azurael macrumors regular

I still wouldn't use Firefox on Mac OS... It just doesn't feel right. Where's the Cocoa UI we were promised all that time ago!? (in fact, wasn't it meant to be in 1.5 - or was that 2.0) Camino is nice under X, but no more functional than Safari, so I've stuck with Apple's browser.

On other OSses, there's no question though; I used Firefox when it was Firebird and even Phoenix on Windows, Linux and the other hotch-potch of OSses I use, and it's always impressed me with it's stability, functionality and speed.

9. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

For me, the most important tools are the customized search engines. Being able to search a lot of academic databases without having to go through the bother of getting to right search form etc. has saved me so much hassle (not to mention the cool papers I found).... I don't use any skins.

I don't like anything about Safari aside from its look. It's slow and renders some websites badly (probably bad code on the website, but most browsers can deal with it).

Funny though. Someone said they don't understand having a bunch of apps that do the same thing. I have 7 :)eek: ) browsers on my machine:
    Safari, Explorer, Mozilla, Netscape, Camino, Omniweb, Firefox. I need them mainly for testing webpages, but I have little separate tasks for each of them (e.g. I usually pay my bills in Netscape).

At any rate, no one knows of any fixes (deleting prefs. that sort of thing) for FF? It drives me nuts when part of the browser freezes - it always happens when I have important pages up.:mad: I've tried reporting on the FF developer forums, but those guys speak a language I don't understand.

YOJ