Firefox 1.8 Browser and mac OS 9?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bluecabochon, Oct 29, 2006.

1. bluecabochon macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2006
    I'm trying to test out this browser for compatibility with my system. Does anyone know ehere I can download this version? So far I'm only seeing 2.0. I'm hoping that it will work with OS 9 - if anyone knows about this, can you give me some info? Thanks.
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005

Firefox doesn't exist for OS 9. The last version of any Mozilla browser for OS 9 was Mozilla 1.2.1. The folks at Firefox recommend that OS 9 users use iCab, as it's the only OS 9 browser currently being maintained.
  3. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
    Anyway, there was no firefox 1.8, the latest was 1.5.7 i think, 1.5.?? definitely
  4. bluecabochon thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2006
    Thanks, guys. Yes, I made a mistake with the version of Firefox and have been trying to log back in to correct it but IE wouldn't let me. I'm on iCab now.

I'll be buying a new computer in the next few months and can upgrade then.
  5. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    The latest version of Firefox is Firefox 2.0.
  6. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2002
    Charleston, SC
    IE is by far the best browser on OS 9. It was much faster under OS 9 than it ever was in OS X.
  7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    iCab is the only browser with a current version for Mac OS 9. The last Mozilla version was the Mozilla browser suite and that stopped at version 1.2.1. You can still get it but it has security holes and isn't recommended. Internet Exploder is full of security holes and is easily compromised.
  8. RacerX macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004
    News Flash...

Mozilla 1.3.1 just released (a number of years ago).

It works for Mac OS 8/9 (I use it in 8.6). I can't even find 1.2.1 on the net anymore (though I have a copy if someone really needs that specific version).
  9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    The 1.3.1 OS 9 release wasn't an official Mozilla release, was it? (I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but it would explain why the Mozilla folks say to use 1.2.1.)

1.2.1 appears to still be available through versiontracker.
  10. btc macrumors member

Jan 29, 2006
    My situation is that my Blue and White G3 just died. Until I can figure out if it's fixable or find a low-cost G4 and get back to running Tiger, I am making do with my PM 7500.

The 9.1 install disk had IE 5.0 and Netscape Communicator 4.7 on it. If IE is the best browser for OS 9, what is the latest version of IE that will run on this machine?

Any help appreciated.

11. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    I think 5.0 was the last version made for OS 9. 5.1 was OS X, maybe it was compatible with OS 9 as well? Sad as it is, it probably *is* the the best available.
  12. RacerX macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004
    The latest browsers (that I know of) for Mac OS 8/9:
    Netscape Communicator 4.8
    Netscape 7.0.2
    Mozilla 1.3.1
    Internet Explorer 5.1.7
    Opera 6.0.3*
    iCab 2.97​
    As for which one is best... depends on what you are using them for. I use IE for viewing HTML based documentation on my older systems, and Opera 6, Netscape 7 and Mozilla 1.3.1 for browsing the web. IE loads faster and renders standard HTML faster then any other browser on my older systems, Netscape and Opera deal with modern web pages on the net better. Mozilla is more stable than Netscape/Opera when it comes to browsing, so I tend to use it and deal with some rendering issues rather than worrying that my browser is going to go down every few minutes while surfing.

Any pages I build on a system running Mac OS 8/9 I test using Netscape 7 first, Mozilla 1.3.1 second. But seeing as the only reason for building any pages on one of my Mac OS 8.6 systems would be to build them using Flash 5.0 (the newest version of Flash I have), the HTML side of things isn't what I'm most concerned with anyways in those cases.

* Requires the most up to date Carbon libraries from Apple to run correctly. Opera 5.0 isn't quite as restrictive, but also isn't quite as modern either.
  13. RacerX macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004
    Well, Mozilla is open source... as long as you are building Mozilla for a platform using their source, you're building a Mozilla release.

But yes, Mozilla stopped building compiled versions for 8/9 after 1.2.1. And even though the Mac version of the Mozilla source continued to use Quickdraw for rendering well into the Firefox days, no one continued to attempt to keep a version for 8/9 after the 1.3.1 releases I linked to.

I hadn't checked version tracker... I keep all these on a CD (including both 1.2.1 & 1.3.1) in case I run across a client that is still using an older OS and needs that type of software (yes, I still have clients running Mac OS 8/9).