Firefox 2.0 and OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kalun, Nov 3, 2006.

1. kalun macrumors regular

Hi,

I am currently running firefox 2.0 under OS X 10.4.8. The issue I have is when I shutdown firefox, the application will freeze over, causing me to use force quit on it. Does anyone have a similar problem? If any have the solution to this problem, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
    kalun

2. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Try the following:

1) Go to your disk utility (Application > Utility) and repair permissions

if that doesn't do it

2) Uninstall the entire program (including the application support in Home Folder > Libarary > Application Support > Firefox

Reinstall

------

Firefox was giving me trouble until I completely removed everything and reinstall.

I hope that helps.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's a good idea to pull your bookmarks.html file out of there before deleting the folder, unless you don't have anything you need.

4. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

You can export the bookmarks to your desktop by going to Firefox (I believe, I'm on a PC right now and I can't recall) menu in firefox and selecting export.

Then replace the bookmarks file into the firefox application support folder after the reinstall.

Be sure Firefox is closed though. I had to import my incomplete bookmark list from Safari because either Firefox was open or I didn't click the correct button when overwriting the Bookmark.html file and the file didn't overwrite, leaving the original Firefox bookmarks you receive at install.

Let us know how this turns out.

5. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

I still have the problem where when I leave Firefox open for long periods of time (like an hour or two), and go to web pages, it doesn't load all the images. That or the page just turns up messed up.......

I then have to quit Firefox and reload it..... being very annoying. Anyone else have this problem? or know the solution to it?

6. daveIT macrumors member

Try to delete prefs

You can delete the pref file...maybe you still have one from an older version. It's in Library -> Preferences. It should say mozilla or Firefox. I'm still running version 1.5.0.7 so I'm not sure the exact name. I've had that fix a strange problem with an app before (can't remember which one).

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I had an odd problem with Firefox 2 on my MacBook Pro - Flash (9.0.20.0, or whatever the latest universal version is) wouldn't work.

It would work in Safari just fine. It would work if I ran Firefox in Rosetta mode. It would work when I ran Firefox from an admin account.

Finally I just pulled the three Flash files out of /Library/Internet Plugins and moved them into ~/Library/Internet Plugins... and now Flash works just fine.

8. skwij macrumors 6502

THANK you!

Westside, thanks so much for that flash tip.

I've been tearing my hair out since installing/uninstalling/re-profiling FFx 2.0 over a week ago. I've moved those files, and voila! FFx seems to be behaving for now.

9. DocVT macrumors member

I found that I had to force quite Firefox 2.0 often and that Google toolbar was the cause of my problem. I did a clean install (without Google toolbar) and it has worked without a hitch since.

10. skwij macrumors 6502

That seems to have fixed it for a lot of people, but I don't have the google add-on, and never had to "force quit" as the app just crashed, no warning, just "poof", gone.

11. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Want to hear something weirder?

I decided I wanted to figure out why it wasn't working before; so I moved the files back to /Library/Internet Plugins - and it's still working. I've tried to come up with an explanation, but every explanation I can think of doesn't fit all the circumstances. :confused:

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I had weird problems with 2.0 that seemed to be related to search plugins. I was short on time so I just went back to 1.5.0.7... I guess I'll try 2.0 again soon. It's interesting that they've never deployed 2.0 as an auto upgrade for 1.5 either on Windows or on OS X as of yet, though.

13. Riverdales27 macrumors newbie

yeah i formatted my macbook twice yesterday for something. anyways, when i went to firefox site they had 2.0 so i installed it. but it wouldn't install the extensions because it doesn't support 2.0. i wanted so i was trying to look for 1.5 which i did but was the french version.

can someone email me version 1.5.0.7 or something please. lookout.records@gmail.com

14. kalun thread starter macrumors regular

I took the advice and fixed it by re-installing it.

Firefox should really take alook at this...

Anyway, thanks everybody!

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

16. skwij macrumors 6502

Yeah, I know the feeling. 6+ hours with FFx 2.0 running, and not a crash yet; compare that to less than a minute before it went "poof" before.

I've gotten used to Safari, but it's not "my" firefox. Once again, Opera is installed, but unused, thanks to tips I've gotten here!

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

A lot of things are leftover problems with Firefox 1.0 - 1.5.x that just didn't make a huge impact there.

I'd had troubles with the bookmarks even before the original Mozilla browser suite became gold. More recently, I would clean up hundreds of bookmarks files created by Firefox for whatever reason.

It's surprising how many bugs they cleaned up with Firefox version 2.0. Thunderbird version 2.0 is going to be better than version 1.5 as well.

18. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Apparently that was some sort of bizarre interaction with 10.4's Spotlight and FF. Putting the folder where FF keeps it's bookmark file in the privacy section of Spotlight's preferences resolved it. (I put the entire FF folder inside application support in Spotlight privacy, as there's nothing of any interest to search for in the FF folder)

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wait, so I'm confused... How ready is Firefox 2? People are reporting flaws with it, plus... Firefox just auto-upgraded to 1.5.0.8... so is the 1.5.x branch still being developed?

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The update was in the works already since they didn't know when Firefox version 2 would be available.

The original Mozilla browser suite is still being updated as Sea Monkey even though Firefox and Thunderbird have much more visibility.

I still believe that Firefox 2 works well but I've been getting nightly updates and I did delete my profile while using 1.5.x because I had so many troubles with it crashing. They're old problems and the data has never been repaired. If you start clean, it's more likely that your browsing experience will be great.

21. reubs macrumors 68000

Every now and then (like right before I went to make this post) my keyboard will quit responding in FF. I've never had this problem before, and it's only just started happening since the upgrade. Any similar problems out there?