Firefox 2.0 kept crashing on MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by suwandy, Nov 8, 2006.

1. suwandy macrumors regular

Hi,

somehow my firefox browser (which I juz downloaded, version 2.0) has begun to constantly crashed on me (sometimes even when I juz loaded it), I always have to force quit it and can't do any real work on it. I have opted to use Opera for now but I wish to be able to use firefox properly.

anyone have any idea why, and how to fix it?

Thanks,

2. Eric Sadoyama macrumors newbie

I had this problem, too. I gave up, rolled back to version 1.5.0.7, and am waiting for 2.0.1 before I try again.

3. wiraone macrumors member

And I thought I'm the only one having this sort of problem with Firefox 2.0. End up dragging the whole thing including my data into the trash .. I'm happy with Safari for now.

4. dshootist macrumors member

Just my $.02...

Not really a fan of Firefox or Safari, but have had wonderful browsing record with Camino v1.0...

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

BonEcho is the code name for Firefox 2.0.

Those of you having problems on Intel, have you tried deleting the profile folder for Firefox, after exporting your bookmarks, of course?

7. Eric Sadoyama macrumors newbie

Errr... no. :p

I've only been using OS X since August. Where is the profile folder stored?

8. Hunts121 macrumors regular

Hunts121

I think he meant the optimized version of FF 2.0 which is still called Bon Echo because it can't be called Firefox as its not an official release.

I am running the PowerPC optimized build...don't notice much of a difference, though it does seem a bit more stable.

9. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Yep, me too. Rolled back and no more problems. It seems that the Mac version of Firefox 2 is simply not worthy of release.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

In your user area: ~/Library/Applcation Support/Firefox

I had stability issues with 1.5.x and deleted the folder and found that stability was much better.

11. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

I've been using Firefox 2.0 on my Macbook since day one, no problems here.

12. Eric Sadoyama macrumors newbie

OK, I've tried that. I deleted the Profiles folder, then deleted 1.5.0.8, then installed 2.0. So far, so good. It does seem more stable this way!

The only problem is, I use Google Browser Sync to store my bookmarks -- and now I can't remember my PIN, so I can't reinstall GBS on my Mac. I may need to wait till tomorrow, when I can check the PIN setting on my work PC at the office. Oh well. :rolleyes:

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I did mention exporting the bookmarks. :p

Hopefully, the same workaround will fix things for a lot of people. I'm not sure why there was data corruption but as long as it works reliably now, I'm good with it.

14. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I find Firefox to be pretty crappy on Mac OS X. I use OmniWeb 5.5.1 and it works great. It's 50% in November for $9.95 :D

15. wiraone macrumors member

I did, I moved the whole firefox directory under my /userid/library/application support/firefox into the trash bin and the problem still persist.

16. kalun macrumors regular

17. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

i just started having this problem. funny, i just got on here to start researching this subject.. and it was the thread at the top.

hope they fix it soon.

18. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Firefox is good for most things. I certainly don't see the point in paying for a web browser these days. If they could make Omniweb free then I'd try it out.

19. Viremia macrumors regular

I was having nothing but problems with FF2.0 on my new MBP until I uninstalled the google toolbar. Prior to deleting it, FF crashed at least 10 times a day. Since deleting the google toolbar, it has never crashed.

just my $0.02

20. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

I figured it had to be the google toolbar or browser sync that I had installed, but I can't live without either of them so I didn't bother trying. Thanks for the info though.

21. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

22. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

Bonecho doesn't help for me, identical crashes. The removal of google toolbar has been working for about 24 hours straight now. I have only gotten one crash and it was an immediate crash. With the toolbar installed I usually get a spinning ball that never goes away and then I have to force quit. So far so good though.

Oh and just for everyone's reference I have tried a full deletion of preferences and all firefox files with a reinstall. No go, this is definitely a plugin problem.

EDIT: I just did a search over at Google forums and this is a widespread problem on windows and OS X platforms. There have been recommendations to turn off all advanced features on google toolbar, but it seems to have limited if no success.

23. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Could be some plug-ins you download and have on your Firefox. Mine never crash at all. Maybe you should start a fresh install. If you don't like Firefox, you can also give Camino a try. I find it a nice browser as well.

24. Viremia macrumors regular

I absolutely love google toolbar and use it on all my XP machines. I did NOT want to get rid of it on my MBP, but there was no way I could live with a constantly crashing FF. I still get occasional crashes with FF, but they come 1-2 times a week instead of 10+ times a day (with google toolbar).

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I have a weird thing whenever I try to install Firefox 2 that the search bar seriously misbehaves. If I click on the thing to select different search plugins, there're none in there, and then if I open the window to add more, it refuses to close again.

I guess I should try Firefox 2 as a clean installation with a new profile...

But instead I've rolled back to 1.5.0.8... Now I have a new problem. This is borne of my own stupidity, but... I installed the latest TabX to get compatibility with FF2. Now when I rolled back to 1.5.0.8, that version of TabX refused to run (because it requires 2), but 0.92 also refused to install, stating that it only works with versions up to 1.5. :eek: :( And I had it working on 1.5.0.8 right before I did this.

Any suggestions?