Firefox 2.0 out (a day early)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by atari1356, Oct 23, 2006.

1. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Looks like the Firefox team has started placing the final 2.0 builds on FTP servers:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061023-8049.html

I've never been a big fan of Firefox (except on PC), but I'm very impressed with this release. This might be what finally gets me to switch from Safari. Great user interface, and it is FAST.

2. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I'll have to try it when I get home and see if it is as much a ram hog as 1.5;)

3. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Can't be worse than Safari already is surely?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, I guess I try and see if auto update works. :) But congratulations and major ups to the FF team! :D

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Once they finish putting things into place, I'm sure auto updating will work just fine. It's been quite good on the nightly builds. Glad to see that they're getting things in place since Internet Exploder version 7 was released already.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ill admit that i haven't been a fan of FF. i've tried it pre 1.0, 1.0 and 1.5 and never liked the interface. a week or so ago i downloaded the 2.0 beta and well now its my primary browser. lots of improvements and i'm happy to see it growing well. shame that Camino development has seemed to stagnate.

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I've tried Firefox 2.0 numerous times and it just can never handle the load that I put it through. The only browser that does so without problems is Camino. And if you want an updated version of Camino, you need to go to the nightly builds, which are quite stable.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

oh i love Camino. trust me i'm one of its biggest supporters.
    i use the nightly builds and they are excellent.
    but it is in need of some official updates though. i figure i can give FF a try before going back to Camino.

i can't stand Safari. the brushed metal is too much there for me. ::shrug::

9. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Downloaded and installed it. Actually downloaded the Finnish version first, but fixed that. I like. Not too many changes. Most notable to me are the improvements to the tabbed browsing. BTW, when you go to Help>Release Notes it takes to website that says this is still 2.0 RC3.

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

That's because it hasn't been officially released by them and the web page will be updated tomorrow when it is officially released.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I originally tried Firefox because Camino development seemed dead. That was version 0.5. I look back from time to time but Camino never seemed quite nice enough and neither has Safari.

12. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Question along similar lines but not worthy of a new thread...

I use Thunderbird for my e-mail. I like it. I switched to it after I was sick and tired of Outlook, back in my Windows days (they just ended a week ago). Now that I am in the Mac world, is there anything that much better. I know Mail is an option, but I haven't invested the time to really try it out. Any comments?

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well you can continue to use Thunderbird obviously, but i never liked it. i use Mail and its pretty good. and its getting some nice new features and improvements in Leapord making it that much better too.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I was a big fan of FF on windows, I think that is really the best for Windows. However FF and my mac never really played well enough. I do enjoy the idea they lifted from Safari with the ability to X out the tabs on the tab, not X-ing out on the far right of the window if that makes sense.

I am quite happy with 2.0 myself. I have had 2.0 for at least a week though, so this can't be that new.

15. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

You mean something better than Thunderbird Mail? I've been using it on my PC for several years now. There is a Mac version.

16. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I am sorry I wasn't clear. I used on Windows and am now using on Mac because I am used to it. I used on Windows because there wasn't much better. Is there anything better on Mac?

17. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Better is different for everyone. If you're used to Thunderbird, then keep on using it. I personally find Mail.app to be much better.

18. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator

19. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

If there's a worse program at mail than Entourage, I don't know of it.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Having used Mac OS X mail, Outlook on Windows, and Eudora, I prefer Thunderbird. If you care to have your schedule integrated, there is a plug-in (Lightning?) that you can add to Thunderbird.

21. rayray1017 macrumors newbie

why would you want to use a slower browser than what apple has already made?

22. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502

I would use Safari, but I dislike completely the fact that you cannot choose a download desitination for each file you download. Plus Firefox has a ton more features that make browsing great.

The only thing Safari has going for it is its lightning quick.

23. seanf macrumors 6502

Features speak louder than speed

Sean :)

24. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i have safari, camino, and firefox installed and i use safari primarily. now and then, there's a page that won't open with safari or it'll be strange (actually this has only happened once since i got my MBP and only a few times before than on my Mac mini) so i'll have to use one of the others. of the two alternatives, i like camino better but hopefully the Firefox update will bring improvements, which it sounds like it is.

25. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Safari is my main browser. I have Camino, Firefox and Opera for testing my sites on however.