firefox 2.0 RC1 released

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clevin, Sep 26, 2006.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i'm still waiting for the final release. safari has been working great for me.

3. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

I hope they fixed the bugs that were irking me.

I can't use Safari anymore...... I'm tired of it locking up. :(

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The nightly builds have been particularly good so I expect that the final release is going to surprise a lot of people.

5. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

What's a nightly build? (I'm a nub)
    Are they worth using? (if so ,any links?)

:)

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you don't know what it is, you shouldn't be using it. :) Either try RC1 or wait for the final release.

That said, a number of changes are made during the day and then, the application is created or built during the night.

They can range from much better to much worse. If you're not willing to lose data, you shouldn't use them.

The RC1 (release candidate 1) should be sufficient to show you what Firefox version 2 is without causing undue headaches. Still, since it's not the final version, you could see some unusual rough edges in it. As most people with a computer know, any application finished or not, can have lots of bugs.

7. NextTuesday macrumors member

It looks good, but still a bit... chunkeh... it doesn't have the nice design of Safari of Camino. I'll give it a shot when I get my MacBook, I'm guessing its Universal.

8. bloodycape macrumors 65816

I actually would like to go back to nightly builds but the thing is the one I had was for ppc so do you have a link to an intel nightly?

9. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

I'll stick with the rc1......... thanks for the explanation.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They've been Universal Binaries for quite a while.

11. bloodycape macrumors 65816

developer nightly build I had for a long while was ppc only. It was bon echo nightly.

12. squirrelonfire macrumors member

safari is still faster

After using firefox 2, It has improved but Safari running w/ Saft plug in, this browser is a rocket. I click a link and everything just shows up, it's ridiculously fast, faster than internet explorer. I hope people will switch from IE to Firefox, poor helpless victims from using IE, lol.

13. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

14. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

I like FireFox because you can easily reorder open tabs(something Safari, even in Leopard won't have)-but I'll wait until the official 2.0 release.

15. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I use RC1 at work, nothing that special.. I still use some of my older add-ons, at home I use safari, but Im really looking forward to Leopards Safari... Firefox along with its add-ons really gives Safari a run for its money... :eek:

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's why people use Safari with Saft. Saft allows you to reorder tabs, block almost every ad, remember your tabs and quick search (live as you type) among other things. In my opinion that combination is better than Firefox.

Although I do prefer Safari, Firefox 2 is a nice update. They finally fixed two finger scrolling on my PowerBook which used to mack the browser go back a page every time I'd scroll down (this was on a default install with no plug-ins), yet its still not as smooth as in Safari, and it now has tab dragging (reordering) natively.

17. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Just install UNO and FireFox will look loads better. I'm not at home right now, or I'd post a screenshot of how slick it looks with UNO and a simple theme change.

And yeah, it's been UB since 1.5.0.3, I think.

18. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

yeah, except Saft costs $12.00
    and adblock is a free extension, its ads removal function is super flexible. "find as you type" is an ancient function in firefox, even before the existence of safari.
    trust me, if you want to compare functionality, there is no way safari can reach the level of firefox+free extensions. Mouse guesture, weather forecast, p2p file share, drag and go, video download from youtube etc. translate webpage, etc, etc.
    The real advantage of safari is still the mac-like looks and fast speed, yeah, I still think safari is a little bit faster, although some tests of the speed began to show the opposite.

19. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I agree Clevin. The only advantage of Safari over Firefox (on modern machines) is that it looks more Mac-like, but as I said, spend three minutes installing UNO and a nicer FF theme and you can even trump Safari's look. Some people say that Safari is faster, but on my C2D iMac I can't detect a bit of difference. And the extensions...oh, the extensions. I couldn't live without Tab Mix Plus that allows me to minutely control tab behavior -- like where new tabs open, what new tab commands cause them to be focused or in the background, etc. I also like the Stop or Reload extension, which combines those two buttons into one. Not to mention the fantastic web developer extensions I often use. Combine all that with the fact that Safari has more web site compatibility issues than FireFox, and I see no reason to use Safari at all unless you have a slower machine.

20. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

OK here's what my FireFox and Safari look like. You can hardly tell them apart. There's even a few tweaks you could do beyond this to make it look pretty much indistingushable. This is why the "Safari looks nicer" argument is moot.

http://rogersmj.com/images/firefox-v-safari.png

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Geez, that makes Firefox look as awful as Safari. Besides, it's not the looks that make Firefox. It's the way it works and what you can add to it to make it better. Safari is third in line when it comes to browser popularity, but when it comes down to it, support for it is much, much thinner than for Firefox.

22. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

Did you make this happen with this version of Firefox? I don't think there's many plugins/themes for 2.0 yet...... or I may be wrong...... ?

23. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

well, thats another beauty of firefox, incredibly range of themes to make it different.
    anyway, when I said "better mac-look like", I was talking about the cocoa widget (the looks and style of input box, radio button, etc), which is still not implemented in firefox 2, altho I know they will implement it in Firefox 3.0.

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Did you ever try Firefoxy? As soon as it's compatible again, it will make the various widgets look better.

25. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

i think firefoxy only provide one widget? they provide cocoa widget too?
    anyway, I installed it on my 2.0RC1, yeah, you need to force install it, it looks good tho,
    [​IMG]