firefox 3.0 alpha 1 milestone released !

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clevin, Dec 9, 2006.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

unbelievable new milestone includes dramatic changes and thus contain many bugs in current stage, take your own risk in testing it.
    exciting new features
    1. cairo, this has been expected for very long time, and now officially set as the deafult in all platform, yes, even in OSX.
    2. cocoa widget, it has been on and off for a while, and its now default in alpha 1, "Gran Paradiso"
    3. acid2 test improvement, recently nightly has passed acid2, (alpha 1 doesn't contain that improvement yet)

Its very buggy, yet very exciting, 3.0 alpha 1 is the biggest change to gecko since firefox 1.0.
    goto http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/3.0a1/releasenotes/ for detailed info,

update, according to my test, at least I didn't see cocoa yet, LOL, wonder why they put it in the release note page.

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i don't know what half that stuff is but i guess it's exciting. i can't believe they're already working on FF3 when FF2 was just released, though. seems like those developers never stop. i hope FF3 brings some better changes than 2 did.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Everything I've read elsewhere says that it's going to be great, as browsers go.

They've still a lot of things to work out, especially the ever buggy bookmarks. It didn't seem so long from the alpha 1 of version 2 to the beta 1 but I suspect with all of the big changes, it'll be a lot longer.

Hopefully, with the new revision of Gecko, the bugs will be squashed.

4. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

I am using it at the moment and I don't see any changes. + It's a bit slower than FireFox 2. Actually, this one has spelling check. I think I'll keep it just for that.

[Edit] No, I don't think I'll keep it. I better wait for the beta. [/Edit]

5. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

if it just switched to cairo, it will be buggy, slow, even render error, so I wouldn't suggest anybody use on the day to day base.

6. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

7. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

ok i just downloaded it, i see no real upgrades. except that its a blue globe instead of orange

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That will be Firefox 3, when it's finished.

It's the first official alpha. If you don't know what that means, you shouldn't try to use it.

9. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

i mean i basically do? maybe not? i just help out and send them broken sites and bugs. when I go to help, update, will it update whenever firefox decides to update?

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

FF2 has spell check.

11. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

Pardon my ignorance, but I really don't have it. Do you know where can I enable it? Thank you.

It is enabled, but it doesn't offer me any spelling check. Weird!.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's automatic. Trying mis-spelling some words. You'll see the red underline.

I'm not even sure they want to hear from users at this point. This is a developer release. They're not even finished adding features. You can't be sure that anything will work correctly.

It's really better if you wait for the beta and that will be months away, most likely.

13. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Soon be able to get rid of Camino! One browser to rule them all!

15. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Really? Wasn't that the philosophy that Microsoft had for Internet Explorer? You see where that got us.

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

But IE was closed-source. FF3.0 is not. BIG difference.

17. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

i normally use safari but use firefox if a page does not load correctly, as more websites are tested on firefox than safari.

my main issue with firefox is it takes a while to load the first time. do you recon any of the changes due for firefox 3 will help it run faster on the mac?

also, what is the expected timeframe for the release of firefox 3?

18. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I find FF3 faster than FF2. Some folk find different. It feels stable(ish).

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've already disposed of Camino since Firefox 2 is available. For me, Camino has not worked well enough but it seems light and quick. Then, you load some page with Flash content and everything grinds to a halt.

Every application takes longer to load the first time. You could always load it once before you actually need it. It might keep you from a longer launch time later.

Firefox 3 is due to be released about a year from now, but who knows? They might actually go more quickly, once they get the basics working.