Firefox Accidental Bookmarking...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mkrishnan, Aug 6, 2006.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does anyone else have a problem where they find they are somehow accidentally creating bookmarks in Firefox?

I have all my bookmarks in the Bookmarks Toolbar, with some drop-down submenus in the toolbar. The bookmarks seem to appear at the last accessed level -- when I'm using the pulldown shown in the picture below, I often end up with several extra "MacRumors Subscriptions Page" bookmarks at the bottom of the submenu below the links to AximSite...

[​IMG]

Sometimes the links end up on the end of the toolbar at the root level, which is why I think it happens at the last used level of the bookmark tree.

It happens semi-frequently... I end up with 2-4 unintentional bookmarks every few days.

I have FF 1.5.0.6 with the latest TabX and AdBlock, and the GrApple theme. This happens on my iBook and on my iMac. I have a feeling it also happens in Windows, but I'm not certain about that.

I suspect I am accidentally triggering some keyboard shortcut besides Cmd-D? But I'm not sure what.

Can anyone help?

2. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry for the bumping, but this is happening again... anyone else observed this in FF? I'm not even sure what to call it so I'm not sure how to Google for it...the most common scenario seems to be that an MR thread I'm looking at will suddenly appear in my MR bookmarks bar folder....

Actually, semi-OT... is there a Firefox plugin that "locks" the bookmarks and prevents you from making new bookmarks, or allows you to lock a bookmarks subfolder (even better)? This might help too....

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There is an older thread on this that's likely less than a year old but I don't remember the resolution.

4. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thanks, B. I tried changing up my search terms and I found the thread.

Ironically I posted in it already. More ironically I posted in it to state that I'd never had the issue. Which I do clearly have now. And less ironically and more frustratingly, there was no solution. :p

*le sigh*

So what could be different between then and now that's causing me to have this issue? I wonder if it could be adblock related somehow?

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm only using Adblock and haven't had a problem.

I've found plenty of other issues, especially some new instabilities since 1.5.0.6.

6. daustin macrumors member

me too....

I have this same problem. It seems that every time I look up there is a new bookmark!! I've had the problem almost the whole time I've used Firefox. I first thought it was happening because I was using shortcuts for everything...I assumed I was hitting a wrong button, but I don't think that's it.

Hope someone figures it out eventually!! (And while you're working on it, tell me why holding command to open a link in a new tab only seems to work when it wants to!!!)

D

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i don't think it is caused by your accidentally pressing the shortcut for bookmarking. since any hotkey for bookmark will bring up a dialog window, there is no way you will not notice it.

8. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

I've never had this happen and I use FF in OSX, XP and linux. But, I don't use the bookmark toolbar either. Off to experiment.

9. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, this is fairly consistent for me. Or at least I have it open in the current tab infrequently enough that I am still willing to believe it was my mistake. :p But... I do know that it depends on the kind of link. If the link is a javascript command, rather than an explicit URL link to another page, then holding Option will not work and really never has....

10. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I have the bookmark problem as well...although it happens most on my Power Mac at work. On my MacBook, I haven't had that problem yet (I've only had it for a couple weeks), and it doesn't happen nearly as often on my Power Mac here at the house.

I have no idea what the issue is. I have adblock installed on all machines (how can you not?!?!).

I wish there was a solution for this. :)

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Are you all using something other than the default theme?

12. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I have not changed the theme at all...on any of my computers.

13. mkaake macrumors 65816

this latest release of firefox really annoys me... slightly OT, but still. when a page loads in a background tab, and I move to it, if I touch the down arrow, it shoots to the bottom of the page.

what the crap?

and if I click anywhere in the page, it actually places a cursor on the page, so using the arrows no longer scrolls the page, it scrolls the cursor. which is on my small, but important, list of incredibly annoying pet peaves. Nothing like trying to scroll a document (or worse, scrolling a bit with the bar, and then using the arrows) only to have it scroll the cursor (and in the case where you used the bar, taking your document *back* to the cursor location when you wanted to scroll!

grr.

that's why I use safari. but the wife uses firefox and I occasionally use it because it's still open... but it's getting on the nerves...