Firefox and del.icio.us.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by newbie2macosx, Jun 2, 2006.

1. newbie2macosx macrumors member

Hi,

I've downloaded Firefox for OS X and am not 100% sure whether or not i've gone about doing so correctly, basically clicked on the download link at http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ and double-clicked on the downloaded file. There seemed to be no installation procedure as such to follow however the browser itself seems to be working alright. What's confusing me is an icon that's represented like an external disk drive with the Firefox logo on that appears on the desktop once Firefox has been launched and is running. Is this icon mean't to appear on the desktop and what exactly does it mean/do other than launch Firefox?. Can this icon or shortcut be deleted from the desktop as i've added Firefox to the Dock?. Apologies if these are really basic questions.

Does anyone know if del.icio.us can be added to Safari or Firefox (OS X version)?.

Is there an equivalent to a Home button on OS X Tiger for moving straight to the top of a page whilst in Safari or Firefox?.

Thank you.
    Kind Regards.

2. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

What I think you have done is down-loaded the Firefox.dmg file that has been expanded (and made itself into what seems like a disk-drive on your desktop). Inside that drive should be the Firefox app. Drag it, the .app, to your Applications folder. You can then 'eject' the virtual Firefox drive by dragging it to the Trash. Move your downloaded compressed Firefox file to wherever (I keep mine in a folder called Software Store) in case it all goes wrong.
    Does that help? :)

3. newbie2macosx thread starter macrumors member

Hi UKnjb,

Thank you for your reply. You're 100% right, the .dmg file must've been downloaded. Followed the steps that you suggested and Firefox is launching without the need to click once on the Firefox shortcut followed by another shortcut (which was causing a lot of confusion hence why i'd thought that i'd not gone about installing correctly).

By the way, what exactly is a .dmg file and, should these be downloaded?. Cannot recall another download option whilst downloading Firefox but guess there must be other downloads in addition to the .dmg file that was downloaded.

Thank you.
    Kind Regards.

4. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Glad to have been of help. A .dmg file is a Disk Image File (Google it for umpteen pieces of information), and can/are/should be downloaded (from safe sources). They may be further wrapped inside another compression app, like being zipped or whatever, for smoother downloading. The point is that, once downloaded, whatever it is you have downloaded sits inside this virtual disk on your desktop. See what's inside the virtual disk - if there's an installer, double-click on it; if an app, drag it to your apps folder etc. And then you can drag whatever app to your dock. Eject the virtual disk and Hey Presto! all is OK.

5. newbie2macosx thread starter macrumors member

Thank you :).

With regards to adding del.icio.us to Safari and/or Firefox (for OS X) can this be done?. Basically i'd like to add a "Tag" button or link to Safari and/or Firefox for tagging a website rather than using the del.icio.us bookmark that i've added that requires the URL of a website to be paste into the URL field of the /post page.

Kind Regards.

6. elbirth macrumors 65816

Yes, there is a Firefox extension precisely for this. Check out http://delicious.mozdev.org/ for info on it. I believe that's the same version of the extension I have, which gives you an icon up with the forward/back/refresh/home buttons. When you visit a website, click it, and you'll get a box to add your del.icio.us tags.

It's also worth mentioning that there is a spotlight plugin for it as well. You can't add websites via this, but you can quickly search your del.icio.us bookmarks in spotlight (VERY handy). http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/spotlight/delimport.html

7. newbie2macosx thread starter macrumors member

Hi Elbirth,

Thank you for your reply. I've visited the URL you'd mentioned (http://delicious.mozdev.org/) however am a little confused as to what exactly needs to be done in order to get the Firefox extension installed. Can you give some suggestions please?.

The spotlight plugin sounds great. Shall more than likely want to use this once the Firefox extension is installed.

Thank you.
    Kind Regards.

8. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Add this javascript as a bookmark in your bookmarks bar in Safari or Firefox.

Code:
    javascript:location.href='http://del.icio.us/YOURNAME?v=3&url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title)
    Note: Replace YOURNAME with your del.icio.us username.

Hope that works for you.

By the way, that Firefox download elbirth mentioned is a plug-in... you need to click on it and it will install itself into Firefox.

irmongoose

9. newbie2macosx thread starter macrumors member

Hi Irmongoose,

Thank you for your reply added the javascript as a bookmark in both Safari and Firefox and it's working a treat :).

By the way, daft question no doubt but how do you select all of the code to be copied where it's been placed into a window with a scrolling horizontal bar?. I'd tried clicking on the javascript that you'd quoted and pressing 'command + a' but it'd not worked. Copied via clicking on reply to thread.

Regarding the Firefox plug-in. Think i'd made an error by downloading in Safari as opposed to in Firefox hence the confusion but thank you for confirming the download should install into Firefox itself.

Kind Regards.

10. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Glad that worked.

You can select by click-dragging your mouse, and if it fails to select the whole thing, hold down shift while clicking on the end of where you want to select. This will add the rest to your selection. Hope that makes sense.

irmongoose