Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Argelius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
(I've searched for other reports of this, but didn't come up with anything...)

I am running Fx v1.5 on a Mac with OSX 14.3.

When I want to email the URL of a webpage from Firefox, I click on File=>Send Link... which opens up Mail and pastes the entire URL into the body of the email. Everything looks okay on my end.

However, when the recipient receives the email, invariably the URL they receive is "broken" (with a seemingly randomly-inserted space) and does not function. This seems to not happen with short URLs (such as http://www.forums.mozillazine.org).

Here's the troubleshooting I've done:
[1] If I send the link to myself it works fine when I open it (with Mail).
[2] If I manually copy the link (from the Address Bar) and paste it into a email message, it still ends up being broken.
[3] If I use Safari's "send URL" function for the same webpage, it works.
[4] If I manually copy-and-paste the URL from Safari's address bar, it ends up being broken.
[5] If I "edit link" in Mail to something like "Check this out" (and then paste the URL into the edit box), it works fine.

So, evidently, this is some sort of bug in the way Mail handles long URLs. Is this a known issue?

I realize I could just use Safari, but I like Firefox and all its extensions better....

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Never had any trouble sending URLs via Mail. Never heard of any such problems until you.

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Actually, I'm having problems sending links through Safari and Mail.app. I have everything set up properly. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• link error.png
    link error.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 67

YokoYoko

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2009
Reviving an old thread to discuss the same problem ...

Argelius, did you ever resolve this problem?

Writing today on October 9, 2009, on a G4 running 10.4.11, I've been trying to figure out why my Firefox won't paste a live URL into Mail when I click on "send link". The URL goes in, no problem, but it's not a hyperlink. As with your original problem, short URLs are no problem for recipients, but longer ones break. The fix is to copy the URL and then paste it in via "add hyperlink" (Edit menu), but that's cumbersome.

Interestingly, this does not happen at all in Safari, which recognizes URLs and hyperlinks them automatically. I've looked in Preferences for a box I had not ticked or whatever, but there seems to be no way to activate this functionality ... which seems very odd.

Argelius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
Hi There,

I did solve my problem (i.e. I'm no longer having the broken link problem), but unfortunately, at this point I have no idea what it is that I did (if anything) to fix the problem.

You might try this extension: http://www.shareaholic.com/?src=ff

(it will share pages to a bunch of different sites, but I've got my "Share" menu pared down to just facebook and email...)

Argelius, did you ever resolve this problem?

Writing today on October 9, 2009, on a G4 running 10.4.11, I've been trying to figure out why my Firefox won't paste a live URL into Mail when I click on "send link". The URL goes in, no problem, but it's not a hyperlink. As with your original problem, short URLs are no problem for recipients, but longer ones break. The fix is to copy the URL and then paste it in via "add hyperlink" (Edit menu), but that's cumbersome.

Interestingly, this does not happen at all in Safari, which recognizes URLs and hyperlinks them automatically. I've looked in Preferences for a box I had not ticked or whatever, but there seems to be no way to activate this functionality ... which seems very odd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.