Firefox and powerbook trackpad sidescroll

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wkw, Mar 11, 2005.

1. wkw macrumors 6502

Mar 23, 2004
    Eugene, OR
    Howdy, I have a new Powerbook 17. I am just testing out the trackpad scroll feature and I notice that it behaves differently with Firefox. When I move from side to side the pages go back and forth (like I am clicking the back or forward button) instead of staying in the same page and scrolling side to side. anyone else notice this? I am not sure how to change it, I looked in Firefox preferences but couldn't find anything.

2. qzak macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2005
    yup.. i just got my 17" PB in yesterday, noticed the same thing yesterday while testing it out. i didn't try it in safari cause, well this is my first mac and i gotta say Safari is slow as heck!!! amazing how using one browser is more than twice as fast as using the built in one.
  3. panphage macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2003
    It happens to me and it's real annoying. I don't think firefox has any support for mouse gestures and I think that's what the OS is using to get the scrolling effect. If there was someway to remap whatever the scrollpad is sending to firefox I think that'd be the only way.

EDIT: No, safari behaves as advertised, two-finger dragging (I wish I hadn't typed that...) scrolls horizontally.

Also, I just turned off horizontal scrolling in the keyboard/mouse system preferences trackpad tab and the problem goes away. Too bad it also disables horizontal scrolling.
  4. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

Oct 29, 2003
  5. panphage macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2003
    ah, nice! Of course, now two finger dragging sideways scrolls vertically...but it's better.
  6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    It should scroll horizontally.

I think the instructions that were pointed to (the iscroll2 page) are incorrect. The ones I followed from the macosxhints site say to set the sysnumlines boolean to true, and that worked for me while the iscroll2 instructions did not.

However all of us with pre-2005 'books should give a big shout-out to Daniel Becker for giving us the ability to scroll with the trackpad! It is SUCH a great feature, and works so much better for me than Sidetrack.
  7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004

I agree, I use it so much... Don't know how I lived without it.

And it impresses the hell out of Windows-using buddies. Another bonus point. :D
  8. panphage macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2003
    Yes, it *should* scroll horizontally, and I know the trackpad is sending different events because before following the instructions horizontal dragging was doing forward-back in history in firefox. After following the instructions (either the iscroll or the macosxhints) horizontal dragging scrolls vertically, just like vertical scrolling. So either it can't be done with the new powerbooks or some further hacking is in order.
  9. eroda macrumors member

Mar 13, 2005
    well mayby firefox needs an update to suport 2 finger scrolling on imacs!
  10. therevolution macrumors 6502

May 12, 2003
    In Firefox, type "about:config" in the address bar. Look for these fields and change them to these values:

mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action to 0
    mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.numlines to 1
  11. panphage macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2003
    Yes, on my new 15" this results in perfect vertical scrolling no matter what. :confused:
  12. therevolution macrumors 6502

May 12, 2003
    Vertical? It should be scrolling horizontally now.

Are you still using iScroll? Disable it... you don't need it on a new PowerBook.

edit: oh, I see. iScroll's page also has that solution. Well, doing just those two steps solved the problem on my PowerBook. Not sure why yours is doing vertical instead of horizontal.
  13. panphage macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2003
    Hah, your comment about third party software got me thinking. Now, we know, if anyone else has this problem, I solved it by disabling the SmoothWheel extension. Of course now I've got to deal with the funky jumpy scrolling of firefox but maybe there's another way to fix that.

EDIT: And fixed firefox's painful default scrolling in about:config like this:
    mousewheel.withnokey.numlines = 3
    mousewheel.withnokey.sysnumlines = false
  14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    It does the vertical scrolling thing for me too. It's quite interesting.
  15. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Feb 6, 2004
    You are a godsend. Thanks a bunch!
  16. chamberlain macrumors newbie

May 4, 2003

change those values to 0 and 2 and the the two finger scrolling will work horizontally. if you play around with these numbers you can make the trackpad do other things like change text size. i don't know why but…

mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action - 0 
    mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.numlines - 2