Firefox and Safari Crawling Slow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DEXTERITY, Jan 4, 2007.

1. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I would appreciate anyones help. As of the past two weeks, firefox 1.809 and Safari have been doing some weird things. For some reason windows are taking forever to load. It doesn't matter what the site is, it just moves really slow. I emptied the cache via the browser but that hasn't helped. I haven't installed anything new. I'm thinking if there was a recent security update if that did it?

If anyone has any ideas of what I could try I would appreciate it. This is driving me nuts.

I'm using a dual 2.0 G5 with 10.3.9 (power pc) and my wireless connection has full signal. sometimes three bars will be missing but its been like that for years and this hasn't happened before.

Thanks in advance.

2. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

Have you tried running a maintenance utility, such as Onyx?

3. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

hi, thanks for the reply. i dont even know what that is, lol. I assume its different from disk utility?

4. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

5. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you very much for your help, appreciate it. hope this fixes it because it is beyond 56k dial up lol

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

7. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'm still having issues. argh this is so annoying.. any other suggestions besides reinitalizing my hard drive, even that is only a few months old since the other one died (gotta love maxtor crap drives)..disk warrior , maybe that will do it?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Rightio, let's start at the beginning. If you open up Activity Monitor, do these apps appear to be using a lot of your resources? Is there a process taking up a lot of CPU or RAM? Have you tried creating a new user account to see if the slowness carries over? Are you only having troubles with the browsers? How about other apps that access the 'net, like widgets and Mail and so on? :)

9. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

Mad jew fell asleep.... REPAIR PERMISSIONS! j/k;)

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

11. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol, thanks .. ok here we go...

1)safari and firefox are using around 5 to 20% of the cpu, averaging around 15% most of the time.

2) not sure what real memory is but firefox says 154mb (maybe thats downloads?), safari 50mb

3) entourage is 0 to 28% (when checking email bumps up to 28%)

4) other aps like pro tools, illustrator and image ready don't show any slow down.

5) yes, the one thing I really notice are my browsers acting up. its not even like a site loading slow from time to time, its the same thing day in and day out with numerous different sites. even to the point where some pages dont load and i just have to quit the program and try again. Sometimes if something doesn't open in safari I get it to open in firefox and vice versa. it just started a week or so ago.

is there a way to tell when the last security update I installed was?

If I left out any other info you need, let me know.

thanks for your time.

12. steelfist macrumors 6502a

do you live near where the earthquake happened? china, hong kong, japan, and especially taiwan have internet problems, even now. if you do not live around there, then it's another problem.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, they're quite high CPU usage levels, but nothing that should be causing this. I reckon it's a network setting at this stage. Maybe try resetting your modem/router by unplugging it from the power for a minute. Are there any P2P apps (LimeWire and such) running on your network (not necessarily your machine)? If so, turn them off (before the reset) and leave them off for a while. It sucks when the interweb doesn't work properly. Hopefully we'll get this sorted soon. :)

14. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank God,no :) I'm in Jersey. My wireless has a wep key so no one is leaching off me, I can eliminate that much I supposed.

15. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

funny thing, I reset my modem and router yesterday thinking thats what usually works. I will try it again and see how it goes. I dont have limewire running at the moment. I do use it sometimes (crap program that crashes) but it hasn't been running during whats presently going on. appreciate your help.

any reason why the cpu levels are so high for those? firefox now at 83%

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Don't know. They're not alarmingly high, but they're still quite high. I'm hoping it's related to whatever network problem (if it is a network problem) you're having now.

17. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'm going to go reset everything. see how it goes tomorrow because sometimes it does it all day other times it does it at hours at a time. i will post back and let u know how it goes lol.. not sure if you saw my post after I edited it but it jumped to 83%.. thanks again for your help..

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, 83% is ridiculous. Leave everything unplugged for about five minutes, just to be sure. Post back with how it goes. :)

19. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for all your help, really appreciate it. i think that may have did the trick (for now, lol). the usage is still a little out of wack, but so far no slow downs today.. I will keep you posted lol.. thanks again..

edit: funny thing pro tools is only using 35% but firefox uses more, wtf lol.

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't personally use Firefox, but maybe try reinstalling it. Of course, this is assuming the other browsers are back to normal CPU usage. :)

21. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a