Firefox and Thunderbird from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cromulent, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I'm in the process of transferring everything on my PC to my new mac pro and want to get my favourites and e-mail imported into Safari and Apple Mail. The only way I can think of doing this is by installing Firefox and Thunderbird onto the Mac and then importing into them and then importing from them into Safari and Mail. Is their a better way of doing this and if so how?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not sure really, I want to keep the system software as light as possible. I'll be reinstalling Mac OS X soon so that I can get rid of all the rubbish that Apple insists on installing on new computers. Having two browsers and two e-mail clients on the same computer just seems like a waste of space to me.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Fair enough, you could always remove Safari and Mail.

5. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

True enough I guess I can download them on the PC and then zap them across the network to the Mac, but won't that hurt some setup options?

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

im not really sure about migrate TB, since im setting up imap server, really no migration needed.
    for firefox and safari
    can safari import firefox's format of bookmark?

ps, if u asking for migrate firefox/TB from pc to mac, i would just zip their profile and give it a try.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

As a MacOS X veteran, you know that this would be a really bad idea.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

why?

9. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Because they are considered core components of the operating system I would assume.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oh, i kinda think safari and mail is not as tightly buildin to the core of OSX as IE6 to the windows,
    wonder if anybody actually tried remove safari and mail.app from application folder and see what would happen :D

11. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

I doubt your Mac would die, but I guess it would be a pain to re associate everything with the right browser. Also I am not sure if OS X uses the Safari rendering engine in the help viewer or not. If it does it may cause problems with that as well. Anyway this is all speculation until I have time to play around with it, if the worst comes to the worst I can always reinstall OS X no great loss.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

good, post back after you try, sounds very interesting.

I think just remove safari' folder in application folder will not remove the webkit core in the system folder.

13. bartelby macrumors Core

What? Just removing the apps?

14. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I need the answer to this as well.. anyone have any bright ideas?

I know where the emails are stored on the HD in windows.
    (warning, dumb question) Are the two kinds of files at all compatible? If I drag the files into os x mail, will it just yell at me or will it somehow magically work?
    And on the windows machine, the folder is hidden.. I can't remember how to get to it. :eek:

Danke! :)

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It will not magically work (unless the file formats are the same, which seems unlikely to me, but I don't use Tbird) - you'll likely need to install Thunderbird on the Mac and migrate the mail to it, and then use Mail->File->Import Mailboxes from there. You could then, obviously, delete Thunderbird.
    I could see getting rid of some of iLife if you don't use it, but I'm not sure why you'd delete the other apps. Unlike Windows, there's no Registry to clutter up, so all they do, literally, is take up space on the hard drive, which is cheap these days. Some things do affect the kernel or slow down the system, but, as far as I can tell, none of the stuff you'd rid yourself of with a reinstall does that.