Firefox and Tiger: Plug-In Compatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mkrishnan, May 7, 2005.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Since some people are having trouble with FF not launching in Tiger, and some have indicated that deleting certain plugins has resolved this issue (the one implicated seems to be this one, although I don't understand how that would've gotten in a Panther install of FF to begin with! :eek: ), what I was thinking was:

Can everyone who has FF running in Tiger please post a list in this thread of extensions and themes and version numbers? Can anyone who has deleted an extension or theme and gotten FF to run (but had crashes before this) please post what they deleted? Thanks!

My stuff that works:
    • TabBrowser Extensions 2005042701, although a version with a date in early April also worked (I updated it before I started this thread)
    • Safarish 1.0

2. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I did want to post one addendum, that I found out that an issue I've been having since before Tiger, massive slowdowns in textbox entry, is due to Tabbrowser Extensions.... Now, the problem is that I miss several of its features, and I'm not sure what to use to get them back. :( So I'm not sure if I should just keep on using Safari!

Does anyone know of an alternate to get the following features:
    - Single window mode (pretty much prevent any action from opening a second FF window, and force everything into tabs)
    - Undo close tabs
    - Tab close button in the tab instead of on the right end of the tab list

Thanks! :)

3. andysmith macrumors 6502

These extentions run fine for me:
    Web Developer 0.9.3
    AdBlock v5 d2 nightly 39
    undoclosetab 20040910
    LiveHTTPHeaders 0.10
    UserAgentSwitcher 0.6.3
    Nuke Anything 0.2

To get single window mode, go to about:config, and find 'browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs' - then just double-click it to change it to 'true'. Then you should be able to go to Firefox > Prefs > Advanced > Tabs, and you'll have options to force things into new tabs (works with absolutely everything - including javascript windows).
    To undo close tab, you can install this. Not sure about the close button though.

I would really advise againt TBE though - the last time I used it was around a year ago on Windows, with FF 0.8 - it made it seriously slow, and completely broke a lot of javascript functions relating to the DOM.

4. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Andy -- thanks! I think that between undoclosetab and your config trick, that you've covered everything I need. I'll give it a try! :)

EDIT: Undo Close Tab leaves a little bit to be desired, vis-à-vis TBE, but it's definitely a start. TBE lets you see a list of up too the six last closed tabs.... And in either FF or Safari, I've learned a reasonable alternate is to open a new tab and use the history from the Go / History menu to get back the tab you want....but still, mos def thanks! :)

It's frustrating, though...I used TBE for a long time before this issue crept up. I never had it until one of the 1.0.x releases...and I thought my TBE settings were stable. :(

Now I have to decide whether I want Safari 2 or FF without the issue of slow text. Safari's achilles heel seems to me to be the way it handles these text boxes in forums. It drives me batty that it doesn't use the cursor as the insert point!!!! :rolleyes:

5. andysmith macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's not great - but useful for when you accidentally close the wrong tab. If you're looking for an older page/tab, the next best thing is opening a new one and looking for it in the 'Go' menu - only thing is, it doesn't give you back/forward history.

The only thing still missing that I'd like is to drag tabs to reorder them - I used to use MiniT on 0.9, but it breaks in 1.x on OS X.