Firefox being blocked?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tobefirst, Feb 17, 2005.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I just downloaded Firefox 1.0 on my computer here at work to play around with and see if I like it any better than Safari. However, I cannot get any pages to load. I get the error message, "The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.whateversiteiwanttogoto.com"

I do know that we have some extensive filters on the websites we can access and the ports we can use here at work. My question is this: does Firefox use a different port to communicate than Safari (which works just fine)? Or could there be some other reason Firefox isn't working?

I don't know a whole bunch about ports and how my company blocks certain sites. I just know that it's possible and they do. :) All that "configuration" stuff is over my head.

Thanks for your help.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You probably access the web via a proxy, you will need to enter the proxy info in to firefox to get on the web. Speak to your helpdesk and ask.

3. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

would i be able to access that information locally on my machine, using any of the other browsers, by any chance?

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You probably can, but I'm not at home (at my mac) to look for you. Maybe someone else can help?

5. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

i got them from my network connections in the system preferences, and you were exactly right. thank you very much.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If your firm requires you to use its proxy server, then every browser is in the same boat. You will have to enter the proxy servers' URLs.