Firefox Bookmark Icons

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jason2811, Jul 9, 2006.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

I just switch to Mac from Windows. Anyway, when I used to use Firefox on my PC I remember that next to each bookmark would be a small logo/icon of the site. I noticed that this does not seem to be a part of the Mac version of Firefox? I wanted to know if there is anyway to make Firefox show bookmark icoms? Thanks.

2. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Are you talking about Favicons? Like the ones below?

Attached Files:

4. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah I guess that's what I mean. Usually, when I go to Bookmarks in Firefox on my PC it shows icons like the ones pictured above. For whatever reason, firefox and my macbook doesn't do this. How can I get it to show icons like that?

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I don't recall changing any options to allow this, so it should be on by default. Some websites, of course, don't have favicons. You may want to go back to the default preferences to see if that helps. You can trash your preferences file to accomplish this, I believe.

6. ducksrfr macrumors member

icons

i know exactly what you mean! under the bookmarks menu there are no favicons in my firefox, and i have not been able to find the preference checkbox or an extension to turn them on.

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I guess maybe I'm just lucky. :) Really, I have no idea why I have them, but you don't. I have them on all three of the macs I use.

8. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm on my PC right now and I took a screenshot. This is how my PC shows bookmarks in Firefox but my Mac will not.

Attached Files:

9. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

As far as I know, the favicons only show up in the Bookmarks Toolbar or Sidebar and not in the Bookmark Menu. Safari and IE both have them in the menu as well. I have not used Firefox on a PC, so I dont know whether this is true of that or not (though I believe the favicon thing was actually started by IE for Windows, so it wouldn't suprise me if it was in PC only). You could look around the Mozilla site for a plugin that would do this. There are extensions for nearly everything you can think of.

10. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Not true. :)

...unless you're talking about the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder drop down in the Menubar. Then, you're right. :)

EDIT: OOOooooooohh...they don't show up under Bookmarks in the Menubar either...my guess is that's what you're talking about. I never store anything there, so I didn't even know there could be bookmarks there. :)

Attached Files:

11. b.rudge macrumors newbie