firefox crashes, and crashes, and crashes, and crashes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rjmccorkle, May 28, 2006.

1. rjmccorkle macrumors newbie

rjmccorkle

I'm so sick of this! I need to have firefox on here to preview my websites to ensure cross browser compat. yet everytime i open firefox and go to the sites I need (such as my site) it shuts down immediately. HELP! I've deleted preferences in libraries, the app, everything for firefox multiple times yet it still has issues. My wife has her profile on my iMac also and hers never crashes. What's the deal? Should i create a new profile and move all my prefs and data to it? Is there an easier way?

I ran into issues about the time i started using this new flash 8 stuff so i had to roll back to the original flash "driver" for my imac (brand new imac duo core intel 20 inch) and i could view flash again, is this related?

HELP someone please!:eek:

2. Queso macrumors G4

Is there anything in your ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder that could be conflicting?

Also, are you aware of the Camino browser? It uses the same Gecko rendering engine as Firefox, but is optimised for OSX.

3. rjmccorkle thread starter macrumors newbie

rjmccorkle

probably... that's where i reinstalled the initial flash player file. currently i have in that dir:

drm plugin.bundle
    flash player enabler.plugin
    flash player.plugin
    flashplayer.xpt
    iPhotoPhotocast.plugin
    Java Applet Plugin Enabler
    Java Applet.plugin
    JavaPluginCocoa.bundle
    NP-PPC-Dir-Shockwave
    NPSVG3.zip
    NPSVG3Carbon
    NPSVG3ReadMe.html
    nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt
    QuickTime Plugin.plugin
    QuickTime Plugin.webplugin
    Windows Media Plugin

4. Queso macrumors G4

Take everything out that doesn't end in plugin or xpt and see if that helps. Move them to another folder rather than delete them though in case you need them later.

5. Nate4747 macrumors regular

I've always had trouble with FF for OS X. Definitely check out Camino as was suggested above, it is a great browser.

6. rjmccorkle thread starter macrumors newbie

rjmccorkle

it still does it. any other options- i'm trying camino.

7. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

never had much luck with firefox on os x. use safari or camino as others hae said, if you can that is.

8. rjmccorkle thread starter macrumors newbie

rjmccorkle

uh oh.... camino crashes just like firefox. it seems any site w/ flash....

9. rjmccorkle thread starter macrumors newbie

rjmccorkle

and wait a minute - it looks like adobe must've released a new univ. binary that actually works!!!! And i don't have to run it in rosetta after all like it says you may have to. The last time i downloaded this my flash quit working altogether! YAY! I'm saved! Everything works!

Btw, camino doesn't look like it parses very well. Almost as good as firefox... hope i didn't hurt anyone's feelings, but I'm not impressed.