Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
the ibook listed in my signature does not run firefox very well... it is choppy and sluggish. i recently bought a 512 mb ram stick and it should be coming soon. do you think it will improve performance considerably? thanks in advance.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
My 1.33 iBook ran it beautifully. Yours should be fine. RAM may fix it, but I can' t say for sure unless I know how many apps you had open before and what you call sluggish.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I've found FireFox to be slow to startup on OS X but otherwise it's a perky browser. I normaly have Camino and Shiira as my secondary browsers to Safari 2.0.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
Meyvn said:
My 1.33 iBook ran it beautifully. Yours should be fine. RAM may fix it, but I can' t say for sure unless I know how many apps you had open before and what you call sluggish.

i usually multi task a lot; they may explain the sluggishness. at any given time, i usualy have mail, terminal, adium, and itunes open, and i also like having ical open too and being able to use my dashboard. nonetheless, i cant remember it running smoothly like on the imac g5s or power mac g5s that i often use at school. safari runs beautifully on this ibook, however. what build of firefox were you using at the time?

L

Lau

I find Firefox and Camino to be noticeably faster than Safari on my 1.33GHz PB. Hence the reason I've switched to Camino permanently. How is Firefox compared to Safari? In any case, the RAM you've ordered will do a world of good.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
MUCKYFINGERS said:
i usually multi task a lot; they may explain the sluggishness. at any given time, i usualy have mail, terminal, adium, and itunes open, and i also like having ical open too and being able to use my dashboard. nonetheless, i cant remember it running smoothly like on the imac g5s or power mac g5s that i often use at school. safari runs beautifully on this ibook, however. what build of firefox were you using at the time?
That sounds more like a RAM issue.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Safari starts MUCH more quickly on my system (see my sig), but it is very unstable - locks up 5-6 times a day and I have to force quit it, and it also crashes from time to time... I've lost posts I was writing here when Safari crashed :) By contrast, Firefox, once it finally launches, is quite stable - no crashes, no locks, and I find its handling of extra windows on many sites and imbedded scripts much, much better than Safari. It is also quick - maybe slightly slower than Safari, but with time, Safari tends to slow down, and after a couple of days, I have to reboot the computer, otherwise Safari becomes so slow it is actually unusable (1-2 minutes to load a page with only text!)... plus Safari is capable of hogging amazing amounts of memory (I've recorded 500MB of RAM and 13GB of virtual memory just for Safari!)... Firefox has none of these issues. Firefox feels much more mature, while Safari feels buggy though with a lot of potential down the road once the fix the bugs. I've used FF on PCs since 0.6 (and called Phoenix), and like it very much, but in the end, I still like Safari more :) I just wish they'd hurry up and fix the constant crashing and lockups (and I've done everything to try to make it stable).

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I use Shiira for my lightning fast browsing. I'm surprised it's built on the same WebKit as Safari given how fast it renders pages.

Lazyhound

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
I use Shiira because I can tweak it to behave more or less like I used to have Firefox set up, minus the horrible slowness of Firefox.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Yeah, FireFox isn't the fastest piece of software on my iBook either. I deleted it anyway though, since I never used it. I have Safari as my main browser and Camino as a secondary one if for some reason something won't work right in Safari.

Oh, and I use whatever that speed up tool thing is for Safari which makes it render pages a whole bunch faster...

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
I'm a bleeding-edge Camino man myself, with Shiira and Safari as backups. That reminds me...I'd better go download the latest G4 optimized build. :p

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
firefox is sluggish to me on the maxed out g4 ibook in my sig, i would also say it hangs much more than i like considering all the good things most people have to say about it. Safari is my main, followed by opera and firefox.

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
slow(ish) launch time for firefox

just FYI firefox takes a little moment to launch on my ibook 12" 1.33. have the latest 1.5 version as well. safari does seem a faster launch but a bit bloated with all the features. use them as; safari 75% firefox 25%.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Use the G4 optimized version. I use the G5 one on my iMac, and though it takes a little longer to launch, I prefer it to Safari for most things. Especially with the extensions I have installed. For the record, it takes a little while longer on my PC to launch, but I still prefer it to IE. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.