firefox - do ibooks run it sluggishly?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MUCKYFINGERS, Jan 22, 2006.

1. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

the ibook listed in my signature does not run firefox very well... it is choppy and sluggish. i recently bought a 512 mb ram stick and it should be coming soon. do you think it will improve performance considerably? thanks in advance.

2. Meyvn macrumors 6502

My 1.33 iBook ran it beautifully. Yours should be fine. RAM may fix it, but I can' t say for sure unless I know how many apps you had open before and what you call sluggish.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've found FireFox to be slow to startup on OS X but otherwise it's a perky browser. I normaly have Camino and Shiira as my secondary browsers to Safari 2.0.

4. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

i usually multi task a lot; they may explain the sluggishness. at any given time, i usualy have mail, terminal, adium, and itunes open, and i also like having ical open too and being able to use my dashboard. nonetheless, i cant remember it running smoothly like on the imac g5s or power mac g5s that i often use at school. safari runs beautifully on this ibook, however. what build of firefox were you using at the time?

5. Lau Guest

I find Firefox and Camino to be noticeably faster than Safari on my 1.33GHz PB. Hence the reason I've switched to Camino permanently. How is Firefox compared to Safari? In any case, the RAM you've ordered will do a world of good.

6. jhero macrumors 6502

jhero

I always use safari, I hate browsers that take forever to launch :/

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That sounds more like a RAM issue.

8. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Safari starts MUCH more quickly on my system (see my sig), but it is very unstable - locks up 5-6 times a day and I have to force quit it, and it also crashes from time to time... I've lost posts I was writing here when Safari crashed :) By contrast, Firefox, once it finally launches, is quite stable - no crashes, no locks, and I find its handling of extra windows on many sites and imbedded scripts much, much better than Safari. It is also quick - maybe slightly slower than Safari, but with time, Safari tends to slow down, and after a couple of days, I have to reboot the computer, otherwise Safari becomes so slow it is actually unusable (1-2 minutes to load a page with only text!)... plus Safari is capable of hogging amazing amounts of memory (I've recorded 500MB of RAM and 13GB of virtual memory just for Safari!)... Firefox has none of these issues. Firefox feels much more mature, while Safari feels buggy though with a lot of potential down the road once the fix the bugs. I've used FF on PCs since 0.6 (and called Phoenix), and like it very much, but in the end, I still like Safari more :) I just wish they'd hurry up and fix the constant crashing and lockups (and I've done everything to try to make it stable).

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I never use Safari, I hate browsers that take forever to render a page ( and also get stuck in their tiny little brains that a page is non-existent or empty afterwards). Firefox wipes the floor with Safari.

10. jhero macrumors 6502

jhero

Weird, I have no problems with Safari, I must be special :eek:

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I use Shiira for my lightning fast browsing. I'm surprised it's built on the same WebKit as Safari given how fast it renders pages.

12. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

you're not alone. :)

13. Lazyhound macrumors regular

I use Shiira because I can tweak it to behave more or less like I used to have Firefox set up, minus the horrible slowness of Firefox.

14. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yeah, FireFox isn't the fastest piece of software on my iBook either. I deleted it anyway though, since I never used it. I have Safari as my main browser and Camino as a secondary one if for some reason something won't work right in Safari.

Oh, and I use whatever that speed up tool thing is for Safari which makes it render pages a whole bunch faster...

15. Meyvn macrumors 6502

I'm a bleeding-edge Camino man myself, with Shiira and Safari as backups. That reminds me...I'd better go download the latest G4 optimized build. :p

16. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

firefox is sluggish to me on the maxed out g4 ibook in my sig, i would also say it hangs much more than i like considering all the good things most people have to say about it. Safari is my main, followed by opera and firefox.

17. jhero macrumors 6502

jhero

please share :eek:

18. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

slow(ish) launch time for firefox

just FYI firefox takes a little moment to launch on my ibook 12" 1.33. have the latest 1.5 version as well. safari does seem a faster launch but a bit bloated with all the features. use them as; safari 75% firefox 25%.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Use the G4 optimized version. I use the G5 one on my iMac, and though it takes a little longer to launch, I prefer it to Safari for most things. Especially with the extensions I have installed. For the record, it takes a little while longer on my PC to launch, but I still prefer it to IE. ;)

20. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Go to Versiontracker and search for Safari Speed. I just installed it and I notice I difference. Before this I never had much luck with Safari.

21. steelfist macrumors 6502a