Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
steamboat26 said:
I just downloaded Firefox last night, and i have noticed that it is considerably faster than Safari. Am i crazy, or is there something that explains this?

Firefox sure crashes faster.

iBrow

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2006
England
Firefox seems alot faster for me then Safari but i find that Safari's downloading speed is alot more stable.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
For me Safari has always been faster than Firefox, but I use Firefox for its features. Safari is very slim on features and with all of Firefox's plugins you can do a whole lot. Plus Firefox displays more pages correctly than Safari (though there are some pages Safari will display better).

I actually like using OminWeb because of the way it handles tabs and because of the saved browsing sessions, but it costs money and they haven't updated it in a while.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
Safari

Safari got much faster in the last OSX update. (Intel iMac).

I primarily use firefox though.

If you use a mighty mouse and Safari, do two things...

1. Turn on tabs as suggested above.
2. Turn on right click in the system preferences for the mouse.

I hate using the keyboard, but then again I'm a switcher...

This allows you to right click links and open them in a new tab...

Much better than the Apple - Click or whatever its called...

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
About a year ago Firefox seemed faster. Then Safari was updated and it seemed faster. Then I tried Camino and it seemed faster. Now I am back to Safari because its seems faster now. :eek:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
IMO firefox is slower than both safari and camino. Those are the only three I use (and I've now deleted firefox). Really, I find all of them fairly close in terms of speed, features, and most everything else.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
FireFox was faster for me when I used to have my Quad. Not anymore though, now that I'm using an Intel iMac. Safari wins hands down.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
As an FYI: Mozilla, Firefox, Camino, Bon Echo, and Flock are all really about the same speed, as they user the gecko rendering engine. Safari and Shiira both use WebKit. From my own personal experience, WebKit is faster, more reliable, and has more features.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
I have 4 browsers on my iBook: Safari, Firefox, Camino, and Opera 9. Of all those I like Opera. I personally think Opera is faster than Firefox or Safari. I can't really compare Camino because I haven't used it in a while.

I vote Opera.

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
I saw the recent browser comparison and was surprised by the results (and the comments about Gecko being slow on Mac). Firefox has always been much faster and snappier than Safari on the iBook G4 1GHz/768MB I'm typing on right now. It's very noticeable. I've done two clean reinstalls on the iBook. Safari has always been slower.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
well i used FF first, and it was just like the windows version.
then i switched to safari... i had no idea how slow FF was coming up, i was so used to it. safari bounces a few times then pops right up.

FF is almost downright slow! it bounces 10 + times then lake a few seconds to pop a window up!
i love FF but i love safari better.
i just DL'ed camino and its ok but i still prefer safari, the only thing is safari (1.0.3 anyway) doesnt use access keys. for example. on this forum, on windows you would hit alt+S to reply (instead of hitting the button) on a mac (with FF and camino) you hit ctrl+s to reply, but on safari nothing works! if anyone knows how to get tat working please tell me!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.