Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
All the add ins in Firefox really slows it down. While being able to change the skin, tab appearance, reload, etc. is neat I want speed. The add in I really liked was Foxmarks/X-Marks but now that Mobile Me does that to Safari, I'm a happy camper with Safari on my Macs and iPad but I use Chrome on the Windows based machines.

AshkanTalk

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010
definitely

I would mainly want FF for it's plugins. For example right now there a couple of plugins I miss a lot when brows the web on ipad: saving my bookmarks in delicious, and the stumble upon plugin. today I am trying to add a blog to my RSS and that link doesn't work. There is always something missing which makes me have to go back to my laptop.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
I actually find Firefox better than Safari on my Macbook Pro. Especially using the inertia scrolling. Scrolling on firefox is super smooth, can't say the same about safari though.

Would be nice to see a iPad version of firefox, but very unlikely.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Firefox is not only super slow when compared with Webkit-powered web browsers like Chrome and Safari, it's also very unstable. If you use add ons and plug ins, stability drops like a rock in Grand Canyon. It's very bloated and something I definitely do not want to see in the App Store. A web browser should browse the web first and foremost. Safari has the best performance by far with Chrome following close behind. A long ways behind is Firefox. Safari on my Mac and iOS devices gives me the best experience. Clean, simple and blazing fast performance. Everything Firefox is not.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
A lot just to say "I like Webkit".

Chrome and Safari are both very fast. They run Javascript like lightning and offer a great deal of hope for lightweight browsers. There is just one minor problem: extensions. Firefox sets the standard for capable extensions such as Noscript, Flashblock, Adblock Plus, Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper, etc. Is Chrome faster or lighter weight than Firefox? Probably. Does Firefox need to catch up? Sure. Are Safari and Chrome as fast when they're downloading an extra 750KB from slow overloaded ad servers? No.

Chrome's adblock extension (last I checked) just hides the ads instead of not downloading them. It also doesn't block as effectively as Adblock Plus with the Element Hiding Helper leaving a considerable number of ads visible.

Firefox 4.0b6 might not be perfect, but it gets me through day to day and I look forward to the public release. May Firefox 3.x die a slow merciless death after 4.0 is out.

Edit: Do I want Firefox on the iPad? Eh, I might try it if it it was released, but my adblock solution on the iPad is acceptable for now considering the amount of browsing I do on it.

Maplefoot

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
Firefox has complete MathML support

If you use your browser for anything academic, Firefox is the only one as it has complete Math ML support.

If your browser can't display the right column of this properly, it doesn't do the job:

https://www.eyeasme.com/Joe/MathML/MathML_browser_test

I don't know why Apple hasn't moved to fix up Safari's Math ML support as the school market is so important to them.

Until the iPad can display equations, it's a bust in the ed. market.

So I would go for it on the iPad if it included the desktop's Math ML support.

Last edited:

altitudetac

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
firefox all the way, i've been using this there browser for years now comparing other browsers, addblock and script is actually a big thing for most of us, who always wants ads that suddenly pops up on your screen when you are in the middle of something

iPadLad

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2011
Safari works well for me, Opera mini is there as a backup.

Firefox I use for development but it wouldn't be necessary for the iPad...for me.

abl7635

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2009
Yes, I was actually just using a search engine (duck duck go) to see if iPad has a Firefox browser. For me the essential plugins I must have - adblock plus, xmarks, lastpass, then the ones I could live without - noscript, ghostscript/beeftaco.

I have Firefox configured in a way that the url bar only suggests bookmarks, I have bookmarks configured (whenever possible) to go to the login page of various websites, I log in once with lastpass, and lastpass logs me into all the websites automatically. It's bliss. And I'd definitely want that on a device that uses soft keys or tiny hard keys, not to mention it's a easy device for someone to pick up and steal, so security would be a big concern for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.