FireFox freezing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Feb 23, 2007.

1. macrumors 65816

Hi,

4x today, Firefox typing just froze. I could move from screen to screen, but couldn't type anything. I could bring up Safari and type there, but until I closed Firefox and reopened it, I couldn't type on any page in Firefox. Primarily, I use GMail and was totally locked out of composing or responding. Also, on a Disney page, I couldn't type either, so it wasn't just GMail.

Thanks.

Frank

2. macrumors 68000

pianoman

i didn't actually see a question in there. as far as i'm concerned, Firefox is the worst browser for Macs available today. i suggest switching to Safari or at least use Camino.

3. macrumors G3

clevin

for input loss events, most ppl suggest u move focus out of firefox window (like click the desktop), then move focus back to firefox, u should be able to input then.

everybody has their own opinion, so u can give safari a try, see if u like it. altho its a no-go for me (lack of too many extensions i need), but u might actually like it, who knows.

Lol, u actually answered a question when u don't see a question.

4. macrumors 68020

phungy

Firefox just crashed a few mins ago for me and I downloaded the newest version that just came out.

5. macrumors G3

clevin

what website are u viewing? if u can tell? is it flash rich? or has video embeded?

6. macrumors 601

Don't panic

i am not sure it's a firefox thing, but in the last few days i have start experiencing system freezes, which had never happened in maybe two years of use. the last few times it happened i know FF was running.
    everything gets frozen, force quit won't respond and I have to reboot.
    i am running 10.3.9

anyone is experiencing similar problems?

7. macrumors G3

clevin

did u try verify disk?

8. macrumors 68000

pianoman

to be fair, what i said was more a general remark and not really an answer. ;)

9. macrumors 68020

phungy

I was viewing MacRumors :(

10. macrumors 68020

localoid

I've had zero problems w/Firefox. Your problems may be related to buggy extensions. Quoting Mozilla.com:

"Poorly designed or incompatible extensions can cause problems with your browser, including make it crash, slow down page display, etc. If you encounter strange problems relating to parts of the browser no longer working, the browser not starting, windows with strange or distorted appearance, degraded performance, etc, you may be suffering from Extension or Theme trouble."

11. macrumors G3

clevin

i would 1, clear cookies, caches. if not working, 2. back up my bookmarks, password, themes and extensions and then delete/rename my firefox profile folder.

12. macrumors 68020

phungy

I will give it a try! Thanks for the suggestion!