Firefox glitch...

Discussion in 'Community' started by corywoolf, Aug 5, 2005.

1. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

This morning something strange happened after visiting fox2detroit.com, I went to cnn.com

notice anything???

hint: look in address bar.

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Interesting. Is that just because there's no CNN icon?

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

4. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Nope.

Attached Files:

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

These little icons get messed up occasionally in my Firefox browser as well. In my bookmarks bar one of the other forums I frequent has the MacRumors icon, even though it has nothing to do with Macs, or computers, or anything related. I could see this happening in the address bar, too, as all these little icons are cached (I believe).

It is kind of ironic, however, in your situation, and kind of humorous! :)

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well with Safari 2.0 I get the little blue globe half the time and the proper CNN symbol the other half. :confused:

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i've seen that happen a few other places too, like google with dictionary.com's icon for instance. sometimes i wonder if it just dorks out and a quick refresh could get rid of it [shrugs] i dumped my browser cache and most firefox issues seem to resolve themelves.

my only complaint about firefox is that you cannot "copy image" (the image itself) that drives me insane and is a big reason why i never make a complete switch to firefox, for that safari wins out ;)

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There does seem to be some inconsistency. There are sites that have favicons in Camino or DP for me that do not have them in Safari.

In Panther, I did the hack to just disable them altogether, because I've never been a fan of them. Mayhaps I should just do that again in Tiger.

I don't think I've ever seen the originally mentioned bug in any FF though -- where the Favicon doesn't match. It's always been the right one or none for me. But I also rarely go to cnn.com

I wonder... what are the subtleties to programming a favicon into a site? Does it have something to do with the webserver the site is running off of?

9. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Why not try Camino? It has the function, and much more. I love it so dearly, so dearly I do.:D

10. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

There's no RSS in Camino, right? I tried it and couldn't find anyway to add a live bookmark. It seemed faster then firefox and safari though. I guess it has some new way of loading images (or thats what I thought I read).

thanks for the responses

:cool:

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i've tried camino, it has a few really weird quirks that bugged me to no end, and seemed to be fairly slow. i will try again, i noticed it had the copy feature, it is the best of both worlds so i was very bummed to have a few issues with it.
    i.e., the cursor would blink really really fast and my typing would register VERY slow (try 1-2 seconds late, per letter... that is beyond horrible to deal with) that was my main complaint. any ideas?