Firefox-Good? Sly?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mr. Monsieur, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

OK...so i've read *lots* of threads praising firefox...i tend to surf better with safari, but i tend to trust the critics. here's my problem...i recently downloaded little snitch and am finding that every time i go to use firefox, little snitch blows the whistle on the program...what's the deal? why does firefox require that my computer send it information? i thought it was supposed to be safer to use than other browsers, but other browsers don't demand access to my computer. any insight would be appreciated!

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

from the website http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/....

"You start an application that tells you that a new version is available. You suddenly realize that with every start this application connects to the developer's server."

it's looking for updates to the program, crucial updates, patches that need to be installed due to a security issue. simple as that.

if you goto preferences, advanced, then find "Software Update" and uncheck the automatically check for updates.. then restart.. see what it does. i bet little snitch doesn't say a word about it. i could be wrong but i doubt it. try it out and see.

3. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the post!

Thanks for the response Logik! i tried to follow your "roadmap," but i got lost! or rather, i couldn't find it through the finder's 'preferences' (did you mean another app's preferences?) in the 'advanced' section i have the following options: 'show all file extensions' and 'show warning before emptying the trash.' my concern is that i've never had this happen with any other application.

4. Logik macrumors 6502a

yes it is in the Applications Preferences. if you go there, click the Advanced icon on the left, goto Software Update, and the options are there.

As far as I know this is only in 1.0PR. Which you should have anyway. If you don't have 1.0PR then i have no idea what exactly is causing that possibly an extension? It could be looking for new versions of an extension you have installed too.

5. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

no cigar...

i did as you suggested, but no cigar...i closed the app...and then restarted it, but little snitch still caught it!

6. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

PS:

PS: i forgot to mention that i downloaded firefox today, so whatever the current version is, that's what i'm running...

7. Logik macrumors 6502a

then you have 1.0PR. Who knows, but honestly I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably calling home to check for a new version or something similar. It's a beta product so maybe regardless of the setting it still checks because it thinks it's better for you :p I say it should not be able to be disabled by a user (make it a chrome hack or something so everyday users are forced to be reminded of updates)... either way, there's no way you should be worried about firefox sending out information you don't want it to send out. i'm sure if you asked over at www.mozillazine.org on their boards you'll find an answer to the problem if it really concerns you that much. but like i said, i doubt it's really something to worry about.

8. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks again! you're probably right...firefox is just too popular among people i trust for it to be something questionable...