Firefox in Mavericks. WOW?!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by kappaknight, Oct 4, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

kappaknight

I'm not sure if I'm imagining this, but did Apple fix the memory management/allocation for apps like Firefox?

I used to see 80-100% CPU usage in ML, but so far, it's staying between 3-6.5% even with about 30+ tabs open.

Great stuff so far!

2. macrumors member

Septillion

Did App Nap work? Mavericks will turn down the CPU usage of background apps. BTW, I never use Firefox on my Mac. Safari is always the best choice.

3. macrumors member

In YOUR opinion. Firefox is far more extensible and customizable than Safari. :rolleyes:

4. macrumors member

That and tab management is awful in Safari.

5. macrumors member

Agreed. I also can't live without session manager, etc.

6. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

OK, if Safari is the best choice, then tell me how i can see the encryption strength for https sites in Safari!?

7. macrumors 65816

Risco

Firefox was great, now it has become too bloated. Plus it does not integrate as well as windows. Things such as zooming, scrolling etc are not even half as good as Safari. Then there is the issue with slowdown on complicated pages and lack of full HTML 5 support.

There are bugs open for all of this, which I am watching and offering to test. Also I have been using and testing Firefox since Firebird 0.6 so I know what I am talking about.

8. rayhigh, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2013

macrumors member

The fact that you've been using it since 0.6 is supposed to impress me? That's like when I tell people I've had a usenet account since 1987. No one gives a rats.

Firefox went through a rough patch that lasted 6 to 9 months a couple years back, as I recall. Since then, it is back to its stable self. I haven't had a problem with it in quite some time. I vastly prefer it to Safari or chrome.

9. macrumors regular

rev.b

I use firefox, so I checked, and you're right. Firefox CPU usage is roughly half of it used to be with DP8.

Not complaining. ;)

10. macrumors 6502a

Agree - add blocker loves Firefox

11. macrumors 65816

BenTrovato

Finally! Looking forward to Mavericks a little bit more now :D

12. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

By clicking on the gray https ([​IMG]) next to the rest of the address and clicking on show certificate.

Attached Files: