Firefox is a PIG!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by obelix, Mar 15, 2007.

1. obelix macrumors member

Oct 20, 2004
    Yes it is, a big fat hog. A mother of all that resembles the oinking and squandering of one's precious CPU and memory resources.

I love firefox I do, but I've been frustrated for months with abnormally high cpu usage especially when I have more than 3 or 4 tabs open.

I get close to 70% of my CPU usage going to firefox, and at least 175Mb or RAM or more are sometimes allocated to the browser. A real swine that's for sure.

I've got a 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4 with 1Gb of RAM and it's making my system perform like a dog.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Does anyone else have this experience with firefox? Is this something that they're even aware of or are fixing? I was hoping the problem would go away in 2.0 as it was present in 1.5... but no luck.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    175 MB of RAM for Firefox is a snack compared to Safari, which regularly eats 500+ MB on my similar machine.

CPU usage should only spike transiently.
  3. obelix thread starter macrumors member

Oct 20, 2004

The thing is that it doesn't. It'll stay consistently pegged at 75% to 100% CPU usage if I have a number of tabs open. Especially if one of the pages contains flash. Safari has been much more minimalist for me.
  4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Firefox is quickly becoming a heaping pile of poo as they add on features. Its got the same problems on every platform. Its slow to load, consumes way too much RAM, and leaks memory to boot! I have resorted to using it on an as needed basis.

Ex. My work Win PC
    Current mem usage - 250 MB with 4 tabs open (MR, gmail, Sun JDK API info, work email) and the following plugins (TMP, Adblock, and
  5. Skrilla™ macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2007
    it is becoming quite the hog these days. it takes forever to open up now, reminds me of the old netscape :(
  6. n8236 macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2006
    Here's a tip I got not long ago and works well. Doesn't exactly save u resources, but it'll make it load faster.

Go to your Tool tab - Download and clear it out. It'll save you a few extra bounces when you use Firefox initially.
  7. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    This is exactly the reason i have stuck with safari rather than firefox.
  8. neyoung macrumors member

Jan 15, 2007
    I have the same problem and still haven't found a solution to it yet.

After firefox has been running for a while and I quite a few tabs open the CPU usage goes through the roof. What I do to get around it is to use the 'bookmark all tabs' feature in Firefox. Then I close down and restart firefox. Now go to the folder that you saved all the bookmarks in and open them all. This will put you back to where you were before, except with low CPU load and minimum ram usage.
  9. DerChef macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    On the PC platform NO on the Mac platform a resounding YES !
  10. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2005
    The only thing I use Firefox for is websites Safari refuses to load. I wish Safari could load every website, if Firefox can do it, why can't Safari? Why isnt there constant fixes for Safari until 99% of sites will load on it?

Come on Apple, it should "Just Work"!!!
  11. Pooldraft macrumors member

Sep 16, 2004

I use camino as well as Safari.
    Safari can't handle some websites like and so I use Camino for them.
    Camino also works for my TiddlyWiki page. - Check it out I find it way better then Firefox.:D
  12. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Oct 27, 2006
    Firefox spikes to ~74% of my CPU then drops to a mere ~55%
    But is loads just about everything I need, so I am stuck with it.
  13. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    no comment on RAM, u know 175MB is much better than others.
    if your cpu consitantly goes up to 75% and stay there, go delete/rename your profile folder.
  14. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Jan 14, 2006
    New York City
    I visit demonoid with Safari all the time with no problems.
  15. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2004
    I have exactly the same set-up and problem as obelix. Firefox is the only app on my system that I have to quit after use.
  16. heehee macrumors 68020

Jul 31, 2006
    Same country as Santa Claus
    What he said.
  17. obelix thread starter macrumors member

Oct 20, 2004
    Well emptying out my cache for some odd reason seems to have fixed some of the issue. It's sitting at about 30% at the moment. I tried out Camino yesterday, and even contemplated going back to Safari but I love my web developer plugins too much and I use them all the time. Camino has no real web developer extensions to speak of, and Safari is great if you're just browsing the web, but again no extensions.

So now I'm stuck with a slow *ss browser because it's the only thing that has decent developer extensions. I wish Camino could run FF extensions, it seems like a much more "mac" minded product. For some odd reason when I use FF it seems like a PC in a Mac world. Clunky.
  18. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
  19. smueboy macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2006
    Same here. Plus i've never found a website that i couldn't open with Safari.
  20. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Jul 5, 2004
    A lot of times, it's the web developers who do "browser checks" and simply "filter out" the "unknown browsers" instead of coding to W3C standards.

"MSIE or FireFox required" isn't better than "MSIE required". If people code to W3C standards, then they only need to patch their code for the various MSIE versions.
  21. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2006
    Fenton, MO
    Firefox's "memory leak" is a feature of caching pages.
    Here's a way to fix it.
    Any Gecko-based browser has this flaw because it's a part of the Gecko rendering engine AFAIK. This includes Mozilla, Firefox, Camino and Netscape (AOL).
  22. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

Sep 22, 2006
    I totally agree. I used to love firefox and shouted that I loved it over IE and the like to family and friends. But now, I despise it. they have tried to pack so much into the app itself that it does take forever to load on startup, and does take a lot to run once it is up. I still have a .dmg of firefox 1.5 which I am holding onto for dear life because if I loose it, then I don't believe it will be found again. I have the .dmg, not the program in my application folder.
  23. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2006
    All the release builds are available at
  24. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    I use FireFox on both my iMac and Powerbook and haven't had any problems.

I haven't had any problems with the Windows version either. Except at work, I have Portable Firefox installed on my network drive, and it's slow to load, but I think that's because a 100mbit network is a lot slower compared to a local hard drive
  25. cmccarten macrumors member

Sep 29, 2006
    i love all the animal metaphors.

i also was using firefox. i switched to mac in september and was more comfortable with firefox's interface and capabilities than i was with safari.
    however, in the last month, i grew frustrated having to wait for the beachball to go away and the firefox icon to stop bouncing every time i loaded it (totally absurd on my mbp 2.16ghz!), not to mention the infrequent-but-still-sometimes crashes of the browser.
    so i started using safari. it is more stable and a hell of a lot faster; but man oh man does it ever have trouble with some websites (ie, gmail is virtually unusable in safari for me), and it also is a lot more finicky in terms of adding and manipulating bookmarks and the bookmarks bar. (plus i love the ease of adding search engines to firefox)....

so i miss its functions, but i do not miss waiting or the crashing.