Firefox Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dsnort, Jun 18, 2006.

1. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I'm a Mac noob, so this is probably a dumb question. When I download Firefox, it is an installer. I run the installler, and it opens a window with Firefox in it. If I close this window, I have to reinstall? If I delete the installler, Firefox won't open! What am I doing wrong?

2. bartvl macrumors newbie

You have to drag and drop the Firefox icon from the installer to your applications folder.

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yes, that program is not an installer, it's the application itself. Drag it into your applications folder.

Before doing that though, why not give Safari a try? It's not like Internet Explorer for Windows... there really isn't a pressing need to immidiately go and replace Safari with FireFox.

4. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Well there are sites that will not show with Safari and that will with Firefox.

For a new convert who does not know how to make adjustments to get Safari to show these IE-compatible sites to show, downloading Firefox would make sense.

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

But for the 99% of the world that does work in Safari, pages generally load faster and display more accurately. I believe this has been discussed numerous times here.

6. dsnort thread starter macrumors 68000

dsnort

Thanks a lot, that worked fine. And yes, I only installed Firefox for a few sites that don't like Safari. I love Safari.

7. emaja macrumors 68000

I don't think that there has been any definitive coming together of the minds that says that Safari is the be all and end oll of Mac browsers.

I like Camino, which uses the same engine as Firefox, and I find it to be faster and generally more Mac-like than even Apple's own browser. Add CamiTools and I have no problems, and I avoid the creeping CPU/RAM hogging that Safari like to do.

I say download as many browsers as you want to. Try them and pick the one that is most to your liking.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Lets say you find one site that loads slowly in Safari (MySpace) and find it loads faster in Camino. Then you get the impression that Camino is faster and so start using that. But then you'll notice many more sites load slower in Camino than did in Safari (FoxNews, Airliners.net, Gmail), and all of them generally display like crap compared to Safari. So then you realize that Camino is not-as-great-as-you-thought-it-was and Safari is still the best overall choice.

The above situation seems to play out quite often. I hear people say exactly the above over and over again.

9. emaja macrumors 68000

I have not seen those complaints over and over as you claim, but if you have I'll take your word for it. It has not been my experience however.

I don't frequent those sites, but on the few times that I do, GMail and Fox News still work well for me in Camino. I tried airliners.net and saw no problems at all rendering anything. All three of those pages - like most I have tried - looked the same as they did in Safari. Flash doesn't bog Camino down as much as it did Safari for me. I found several sites completely unusable in Safari that worked perfectly with Camino or Firefox - like the USPS which I use quite often.

Overall - for me - Camino is the best browser. That is why my post ended with "Try them and pick the one that is most to your liking" instead of a blanket statement that clearly does not apply to everyone.

You like Safari. Great. I don't. We will simply have to agree to disagree.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

11. emaja macrumors 68000

Thanks for the validation.

That thread has as many Camino and Firefox users in it as it does Safari fans. It goes to show that every browser has its use and its supporters. In my reading here and on the Apple forums, Safari does not have as many fans as one would think.

I will say it again - for my use, Camino is fastest and displays the most sites without formatting errors. YMMV.