FireFox issues almost make me hate my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jackmack, Sep 16, 2006.

1. jackmack macrumors regular

I love my mac, but a huge part of my work (all of it) is going online.

When I used my PC, I used FireFox... worked amazing. Hands down the best.

Now that I'm on mac... there is no "best". Everything is "almost" good.

Safari... almost good. Camino... almost good. Firefox... almost good.

Some like safari and camino lack extensions, but firefox lacks stability, atleast with me it seems.

Reasons I hate Firefox right now (Maybe you can help?):

-It seemed to crash frequently when multiple tabs load or something, but it was rare and I can survive with a crash rescue extension.

-I was hoping to use an extension for web design that lets you sample color in firefox... doesn't work though because I'm on mac... bummer.

-And finally, the biggest reason I absolutely hate firefox... my forms are messed up. 99% of the online text-fields I use, including the one on this forum, are effed up for some reason. I recoreded a video on it you can watch here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXb0eUuzGUs Basically, the cursor is slower than when I type, so I can't see everything until I type more.. so if i mess up, its hard as hell to fix it. As I type this, like usual, I'm using TextEdit.

Any ideas how to fix any of my problems?

Edit: Not sure how long it takes youtube to post videos... so here is a download link to the video file: http://rapidshare.de/files/33296656/ihatefirefox.mov.html

I also have noticed it does it in Camino, so the problem must be with some preference i have set that mozilla uses

no problem in safari.

double edit: im on a macbook pro 17"

2. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Is it the Firefox 2.0 Beta by any chance? I tried that and found it buggy and prone to crashing with multiple windows open. I always found 1.5 (I think) to be quite stable, if a bit slow.

I was going to revert to the released version, but my new MacBook is shipping, so I'l just set that up as I want when it arrives, as I'll be reformatting my PB to sell it.

I'm primarily using Camino at the moment, but I keep Firefox for some sites. When 2.0 comes out properly I might switch back to it.

3. jackmack thread starter macrumors regular

No. its 1.5.07 or whatever the one that just updated is.

its been like this for a while though.

4. iVersa macrumors 6502

-Are you somehow eternally damned to use only Firefox?

-Would you not have similar issues or worse with firefox on a PC?

-Have you tried Camino?

To say it almost makes you hate your mac is rediculous

5. jackmack thread starter macrumors regular

Are you somehow eternally damned to not read my post?

I clearly said I use other browsers, and that my problem is there is not *one* good browser like with windows... its like different ones for different things.

I also clearly said I use camino and it gives teh same problem.

Why is it rediculous to make me say it makes me hate my mac? My job is 99% web stuff, so if this makes my job less efficient, it would start to make me hate my mac.

I'm guessing you were trolling the forums, saw "firefox" and "hate" and "mac" and decided to post your copy-and-paste thoughts without even reading my problem. I find that pretty rediculous.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm using Firefox almost exclusively. Since 1.5.0.6, it's been too unstable and I'm currently using the version 2 beta 2. Not all extensions work, but it's much more stable and it seems that several bugs have been fixed. I'm probably missing out on security updates but I can't confirm that either way.

There are other things within Gecko for Mac OS X that drive me crazy but they won't be fixed with version 2.0 of Firefox or Camino, most likely.

I think a lot of people have gotten used to "works okay" instead of "works great" and assume that everything is fine because they don't see anything else.

I've had a few crash situations but those are usually caused by the Shockwave Flash plug-in and the Firefox plug-in conduit. Rude code just doesn't seem to be handled as well as it should be.

I don't know how to fix your problems but I can tell you that a better Firefox is coming.

7. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

OR of course it's possible jackmack just missed the fact that you mentioned Camino in your first post. :rolleyes: Pretty harsh.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

jackmack is the one having trouble. iVersa is the one who "missed" it. :p

9. jackmack thread starter macrumors regular

i just hate having a problem that i can't find anyone else having... it makes me wonder what is causing it on my mac. =\

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Is that form in your movie the form here at MacRumors? One thing I notice is that it doesn't seem to be displaying in the usual font, at least the spacing is weird. Do you have any Firefox extensions or scripts installed that may interact with forms? Or any OS X add-ons that might play with text?

On the color thing, you may want to check out the Digital Color Meter application in your Utilities folder, if you haven't discovered it yet.

11. jackmack thread starter macrumors regular

that's from digg... but its the same font as all my other forms... i dont think i have extensions mesing with it, lemme try safemode on firefox.

edit: nope, same i safe mode and i reset firefox settings to default =( stll crappy.

what font do you have set in your text box?

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The fonts in the textareas shouldn't all be the same unless it's a major coincidence. They are set by the style sheets, or default to Courier (the default is browser dependent).

For MR, I get Verdana.

On Digg, the textarea font will be either arial, helvetica, or whatever sans it can find, in that order, depending on what is available. I'm not seeing the weird spacing in forms there.

If you're seeing the same problem both here and on Digg, it probably isn't a screwed-up font, unless you have some disabled. The weird backspacing does make me wonder about fonts though, it almost looks like the cursor and display have different notions of what the spacing is supposed to be.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

the thing is: its hard to imagine the firefox would behave so differently under mac vs. under windows, can you give out the link to the page you have problem with?

14. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Opera's free.

I use it, and love it, but it still has come page compatibility issues. I keep Firefox around as a backup.

16. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Ooops, sorry, my bad. :eek:

17. iVersa macrumors 6502

haha yea, unless you've edited your post (which is says you did yesterday) and added all that stuff - Im just a moron :D

I clicked this thread again just now to look at the replies and read your first post thinking "i never remember reading this and it makes my post pretty meaningless"

Quite bizarre, but yes I must have done exactly what you said and just read the title. Silly me. Sorry :)

18. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Holy crap. Someone makes a mac-fanboy-style post and then is willing to own up to it. I compliment you on what seems to me (a newbie) to be a rare feat.

jackmack, I don't actually have a Mac (yet -- iMac coming soon), but I have toyed around with a Mini we have at work (the original G4 kind) and I remember experiencing the same problem once or twice in FireFox. However, I couldn't reproduce it with any consistency. This does worry me a little, because like you 99% of my work is online through a web browser and I need certain FireFox extensions to make my life easier. Since you've already eliminated extensions as possibilities, maybe try grabbing an old build of Firefox (like 1.5.0.1 or something) and see if it does it too. You might want to check through the Mozilla forums and bug report systems too.

19. Adamo macrumors 6502

I just got fed up with my Mac lately, and decided to go back to Windows, it's just quickly on the whole and does the stuff I want without fuss and crashing (Firefox and Safari both crash now and again for me, and web-browsing is very slow in general).

There is no best browser, just a load of average ones that work when the want to. Getting them to remember forms properly is infuriating.

20. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'm with Adamo. Browsing with rock-solid Firefox on Windows.

21. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Funny I felt the same way about firefox and mac when I first switched.

Have you tried the Beta 2 its great?

22. iVersa macrumors 6502

hehe, I like apple hardware and mac os x. But I am happy to own up when I am wrong :D

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think we know that Gecko is the problem and it's due for a clean up with Firefox version 3.0. People claim that Camino is the answer but after playing a Flash-based game the other night and found Camino on its knees. I know that it's partly the plug-in that's a POS but still, Firefox does much better.