FireFox Mac & PC compared

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacSA, Nov 30, 2004.

1. MacSA macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2003
    Does FireFox on the Mac behave exactly as it does on the PC? Im thinking more in terms of website compatability. Ive been using it on my PC for ages and haven't really had many problems with websites not working properly.
  2. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    It uses the same codebase, and one would think the parsing engine would be quite portable. I've never seen any differences, and I use FF on both my Mac and my PC.
  3. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    There is at least one Mac-specific Firefox bug regarding CSS rendering - I know cuz I filed it in bugzilla myself. :D You're unlikely to see it while visiting the vast majority of websites though, because most get coded to the lowest common denominator in order to work with Internet Explorer.
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I've seen some differences in Java applet behavior. I seem to remember reading that firefox mac uses a 1.3.x version of JRE as opposed to the 1.4.x version....

But mostly minor things. Part of the reason I switched to firefox is so I could have a more consistent experience across the two pc's I use in our labs and my iBook. :)
  5. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Denver, CO
    i have a bug on my PC with firefox. though most of you may not look at it as a bug. for some reason, it dosent dispay any google ads, other than the ones on google search pages. i dont see any on this board, nor on any other sites. i see them in IE on that machine, and on safari at school. It seems im the only one with this "bug" though.
  6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    You running any extensions or javascript security?

To the original poster, I find that firefox is pretty consistentent between mac and pc, the experience for me is almost the same. A couple differences in the menu locations and customizibility issues, but for the most part they are the same.

I also love the fact that my favorite extensions are cross platform. Off the top of my head I have Adblock, GMail Notifier, Web Developer, Webmail Compose, HTML Validator, Linkification, Tab Browser Prefs, and FireFTP. Most work (if not all) in both OSes.