Firefox makes Mozilla $72 million

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by steve_hill4, Mar 6, 2006.

1. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

A post here states that Mozilla made $72 million from people searching google through the box built into Firefox. Once they linked, if a user clicked on an ad, Mozilla received about 80% of the revenue.

This proves that even free and open source software can make a profit.

This story was found linked at digg.com

2. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Wonderful news!

Maybe Mozilla can now hire some full time Mac devs to help Firefox get out of the vortex of suckiness its in. ;)

3. Project macrumors 68020

4. steve_hill4 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Well, I have noticed that Firefox doesn't feel very zippy on the 2.0GHz Core Duo iMac. It is a stock config with 512MB, so that can explain it to an extent, but since no other apps are running, it should be a bit more responsive. Again, this could be due to rosetta and I look forward to a universal binary for Firefox.

The Windows version seems fine for the time being, although I did notice going from 1.0.x to 1.5 causes a lot of random crashes on my system. I can be working happily and have 30+ tabs open and no problems. other times I have a few open and it randomly asks for quality feedback, meaning "Send us data as to why Firefox crashed. By the way, it will close as soon as this feedback box has gone."

Hopefully a little cash injection can restore the stability of the browser for 1.6 upwards. laos, they could do with sorting out memory leakage problems.

5. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Firefox works beautifully in windows and it ran fine on my 350Mhz PowerMac G4. It truely is the best browser, I love the customizability and expandability.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I find that version 1.5 is quite good and only the plug-ins are hanging up, especially the Shockwave Flash plug-in.

I'm glad that Mozilla has generated some cash to continue their efforts. Maybe, Apple could do the same--maybe they do the same thing. Anyway, the more Firefox is used, the better off we are because it's likely to mean that Internet Exploder is knocked down a notch again.

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Hmm, ok, I'm confused. I have Deerpark (ie. Firefox) installed on my Intel iMac and it definitely shows up as Intel in the Activity Monitor. I know there's a separate "Firefox" PPC-only download. It has crashed maybe twice in four weeks.

Now that I look for Deerpark, I can't actually find it anywhere - I can't remember where I got it. Does anyone else use this or am I imagining things (I'm at work so can't check my iMac)

8. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Deerpark

9. louiek macrumors 6502

Is it possible to create a Spotlight search shortcut for firefox? command-shift-F
    doesn't seem to do anything.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Your post is completely off-topic and needs to be in its own thread but what are you trying to accomplish?

11. louiek macrumors 6502

Firefox and it's performance under osX was being discussed. Yes I was off topic but so were several previous posters. I figured firefox users were reading this thread so I'd get an answer to a simple question here rather than start a new thread. First post too dude, thanks for the warm welcome. What have you accomplished?

12. steve_hill4 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Whether off topic or not, I think it is a valid post as it seems to have drifted to a discussion on development Mozilla could do with that cash.

While this wouldn't necessarily be a Mozilla project, it is certainly the kind of area they could look towards, especially if the cash continues to roll in.

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

have Dell put FireFox on all PC, along with Google's SoftWare

14. steve_hill4 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I agree that more manufacturers need to include it as bundled software, very much like HP and iTunes. The more that buy a PC knowing nothing about them and see Firefox alongside IE, use both and fall in love with Firefox, the better.

A Mozilla board member has however issued a statement on the amount they received. It appears to be inaccurate, although it has yet to be confirmed by how much they are out by.