Firefox maximize leaves gap on the right hand side

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cattywampus_, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502

Hi,

When I hit the maximize button in Firefox, why is it it always leaves a gap down the right handside. Why does it not fill the whole screen right across and down to the top of the dock?

Anyone else have this problem?

2. operator macrumors regular

The green button is not meant to 'maximize' like in Windows. It's more of a 'best fit' button. And when I say 'best fit' I mean as in best fit for the content within the window, as opposed to screen size/space.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Because it's not a maximize button. The green button optimizes the size of the window for whatever is going on inside it.

The traditional Windows paradigm is that the app that is currently being used should fill your screen and be the only thing you see. The OS X paradigm is that you have layers of windows that you can click back and forth between, so you don't want any window to fill your entire screen.

4. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh,

Well it leaves the same sized gap regardless of what is currently being displayed in the browser.

5. operator macrumors regular

Yeah, it definately takes a bit of getting used to. I also find myself using it to toggle between two diff window sizes, but sometimes this doesn't work.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes...it's not really the dynamic content that determines the size. It's the application itself...it will resize differently based on things like presence or absence of the Dock, but it doesn't account for the exact web site you currently have open.

7. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

I like Apple's philosophy with this, but I would like it better if it was more predictable. I just "maximized" this Safari window and it stuck half the viewable area off the screen.