Firefox: Need Profile Help! (bookmarks, pwords)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sjcaguy, Feb 23, 2005.

1. sjcaguy macrumors regular

Hi there,
    Just tried to update to Firefox 1.0 (I know, a few months late) from Firefox 0.8, and somehow after I dragged the new app to the applications folder and allowed it to replace with the old one, my bookmarks, passwords, profiles, etc all disappeared. Fortunately I still have Firebird installed on my system, and when I load that (even though I haven't used it for months) it loads my most recent history, passwords, etc.
    How do I transfer this stuff to Firefox? I tried using the Import function and it doesn't work! Essentially, I know this info is still on my system because Firebird can access it. Just need Firefox to get to it.

Thanks SO much!

p.s. should also add that i'm fine to reinstall Firefox 0.8 if this will help. I also need help getting a dmg file of this version of firefox, as i can't seem to find it on my HD.

Also, I can't get the Profile Manager to load when I launch either Firefox or Firebird. Any assistance with this would probably solve the problem, no?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It's entirely possible that the profile location Firefox 1.0 uses is different from the one Firebird uses. If that's the case, all you'll need to do is copy the old profile data to the new profile folder, and Firefox should see and use it automatically. That would be the first thing I'd try.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

At my machine the Firefox preferences has been placed in ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/default<whatever>/

I cannot quite remember (bear in mind it's a while since the Firebird days), if Firebird either placed a folder called Firebird in ~/Library/ or if it reused the profile from ~/Library/Mozilla/Profiles...

If you find a Firebird (or just a Mozilla) folder then just move the files from one <some_rubbish>.slt folder (the innermost folder) to the default<whatever> folder in ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/

Remember, before any moving/replacing: Backup, backup, backup... ;)

4. sjcaguy thread starter macrumors regular

hrm...haven't quite gotten it yet.

:rolleyes:

Well, I found a folder in ~/Library/Mozilla/Profiles that ended with the .slt extension, but when I looked at the HTML file it claimed were my bookmarks, it wasn't the right one. I moved those files (anyway) to the new Firefox profile folder, but nothing happened (unsurprising, since I think those were the profile files from when I installed Mozilla and never used it. I ended up not using a mail client at the time and wasn't reading newsgroups, so I figured I'd be better off just using Firebird.

SO...I still can't find the profile information from Firebird. Any other suggestions on where it's hiding and how to get Firefox 1.0 to recognize?

Should also emphasize that Firebird, while not used in months , has the most current history, passwords, etc that were in Firefox until I updated today. So somehow it's pulling this info, but I don't know from where.

5. sjcaguy thread starter macrumors regular

fixed, if anyone cares how-- explanation below.

okay, so the previous advice given here was correct, it was just the location of the files that was at issue.

I realized that, given the way the bookmarks are stored, there had to be an HTML file somewhere that contained my current bookmarks; the ones that were loading in Firebird but not Firefox. I searched for all files entitlted bookmark, then opened them until I found the right one. There were approximately five of them.

Oddly enough, the one I wanted was in ~/Library/Phoenix/Profiles/default/<foldername>.slt.

When I tried to copy these files to ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/<etc etc>, it didn't work-- some error about file not found. So I deleted the files in /Firefox/Profiles/<foldername>.slt and pasted these in. Works like a charm. Only problem is my extensions are gone, but whatever. Those aren't the issue.

Hope this may help someone else if they lose their profile info...