Firefox on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nipz, Apr 18, 2008.

1. macrumors 65816

Nipz

I was just wondering do you think that the SDK could bring other browsers to the iPhone?

Not that i want anything other than Safari but thought there could be a possibility!

Thanks

Ben

2. macrumors newbie

3. macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Mozilla is creating a 'Mobile Firefox' as stated here. But as for on the iPhone - would Apple approve?

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

Yea thats going to be the only prob! will apple approve?

5. macrumors G3

clevin

no, AFAIK, apple does not allow app like firefox to run on iPhone, because that would open too many doors.

mobileFirefox will be on linux/WM based device, probably competing with OperaMINI/Mobile

6. macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

No.

7. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

8. macrumors G3

clevin

what do we need competition for, xxx is great!:p

9. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Opera Mini was ported to Google's Android a couple of days ago. I don't see why not for OS X although Mobile Safari is a foking solid mobile browser :cool:.

10. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

I had firefox installed on my home PC and I just took it out after a few days.
    Not really impressed with it. Compettition is good, a worst browser IMO would be useless and would slow down web browsing on the iphone.

11. macrumors G3

clevin

its a mistake to compare firefox 2 @pc and firefoxmobiel on mobile devices. safari on mac/windows can be a memory hog, mobilesafari can crash on iphone from time to time, do we judge them based on the other version? no, not to mention mobileFirefox is based gecko 1.9, you should at least try firefox 3 before making statements.

worst browser? worse than IE on your pc? :eek: anyway, when did you tried mobile firefox on iphone? No? then I would advise you reserve the judgment until you try it....

slow down web browsing? its not like mobileSafari is fast in any sense....LOL, Its SLOW.. and Im not talking about slow speed to receive data through EDGE, Im talking about slow speed of rendering page...
    OperaMINI is a java app, iphone needs to support JVM first.

12. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Oh no, Clevin the Firefox man to the rescue :D
    lol

13. macrumors G3

clevin

oh, thank load I rescued u...lol,,,, realistically, you, me, and everybody, probably will have no chance to try mobilefirefox on iPhone. why bother making statement anyway. You are safe in your world of iphone with safari, indeed. MobileFirefox really doesn't affect you at all.:)

14. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

I'd give it a try if its released but I doubt Apple would go for it.

15. macrumors newbie

I hate to bring up a near dead thread, but wouldn't mobile Firefox have a working Flash player? Does Apple hate Flash so much they'd deny a viable, working browser App that has features Safari does not?

16. macrumors 65816

No.
    Flash has to do with plug-ins, not the browser. If there's no Adobe Flash plug-in, there's no Flash, regardless of browser.

17. macrumors regular

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    You like IE better than Firefox??? Dude.... I'm speechless.

18. macrumors newbie

Ok. So what's keeping another company from making an Adobe Flash plug-in App?

19. macrumors 65816

Adobe is the only company that could make a Flash plug-in for the iPhone.
    The terms of the SDK prohibit developers from creating applications that run scripts in other applications.

20. macrumors newbie

Ah. So what started the whole fiasco?

21. macrumors 6502

Yeah but imagine what firefox + plugins could do.

Safari is miles ahead of IE sure but, I much prefer Firefox it has to be said.

22. macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I'm almost 100% positive that during the SDK event in March when they were going over apps that would not be allowed in the App Store, alternative web browsers to Safari were prohibited. You're NEVER going to see another browser in the iPhone.

23. macrumors 68030

Adobe have said they'd make Flash for iPhone, but the SDK licence prevents them from doing so.

I don't see Apple allowing any plugins for mobile Safari, at all.

Phazer

24. macrumors newbie

firefox for Iphone??

Hi all,
    I do prefer safari in most cases myself! however, I happened to be using an internet database for work that is only useable on Firefox!!!

This is really silly I know but it's actually better now because it used to only be available on IE !!!

so if there is anyone out there that can tell me for sure that this can or "cannot" be done then I would be delighted to know that I don't have to keep thinking about how this could make my day at work easier :)

Chris

25. macrumors 6502a

Mozilla has stated publicly that they have no plans to develop Firefox for the iPhone. Too bad, but the closed platform kills it.